stupid question time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK i have recently purchased a dry suit.I have a class set up for it in a week. what i was impationtly wondering do u use the bc or the suit itself for going up and down.

thanx

Let the instructor teach you but....

I only use the BC for bouyancy control. I only put air in my suit to relieve the pain of the squeeze. Ps. if your cold, where thicker underwear - dont' use air.

The BC was designed to control trim & bouyancy. The suit was not and so air will get into the most awkward of spots - like your feet.

I agree. Some agencies will teach you to only use the suit for buoyancy so as not to task load you with trying to control two air bubbles at once. (One in the b.c./wing one in the suit.) After
you learn the suit method try the b.c. you can control venting and bubble movement much fast with the b.c. in my opinion. I usually just try to take the squeeze off the suit with a few spurts and then use my b.c. wing.

OK i have recently purchased a dry suit.I have a class set up for it in a week. what i was impationtly wondering do u use the bc or the suit itself for going up and down.

thanx

I agree with the others. Use air in the suit sparingly. Control your Buoyancy with the BC. If you get too much air in the suit you can get into trouble since it vents very slowly and is position dependent.

There are some agencies that teach contrary to this so be prepared to challenge the method or decide for yourself afterwards. There are also instructors that teach contrary to said agency.

Pete

I was taught to use only the suit. That was hard.

Once I abandoned that, diving dry is easy.

i didnt know it was either way type of thing. Dont worry andrew i will let the instructor teach me. thanx for the replies alex

hubby and i have had barnys over this

i use my bc when drysuit diving for bouyancy

hubby says use the suit for drysuit bouyancy

i must say i see merits in both as when ascending i have to control both the suit and the bc and the first few times it was hard to task it together... ive since figured out what works for me and have a system and comfortable with my drysuit now

cheers and goodluck!

Ideally you should be weighted such that relieving suit squeeze will put you back neutral, or not more than a few lbs heavy at the start of the dive.
It will take several dives (or more) to get things dialed in before your weighting is adjusted properly. Resist the urge to over-weight, a bad habit that's often taught in dive cert classes that all too often is "un-taught".

Back
Top Bottom