stupid question time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BC for buoyancy, DS for redundancy. I never understood the philosophy behind using a DS for primary buoyancy control.

OK i have recently purchased a dry suit.I have a class set up for it in a week. what i was impationtly wondering do u use the bc or the suit itself for going up and down.

thanx

While I understand your question, the answer to the specific way you've worded it is NEITHER in that you don't use your BC or drysuit as an elevator button "to go up or down."

Certainly not to go UP, though I guess you could say that you "use them" to let air out to go down. But even that's really just for initial descent.

I'm certain/hopeful that what you meant by your question was "which do I use for buoyancy compensation" but if you don't understand the difference between "buoyancy compensation" and "going up and down" you need to nail that concept down before your next dive - drysuit or otherwise.

I try to stay properly weighted as not to have much air in either. The more air the bigger the bubble.

You'll be taught to use the suit for buoyancy.

After the course however do whatever you prefer. Properly weighted single tank either method is acceptable. With twinsets and so on its not an option to use the suit alone.

thanx submariner ill make sure to talk to the instucter about the proper weight and the best way to find what that is for me.as for the up and down ill see if its easier to use the up and down buttons on my bc or dry suit.:):)

Redundancy is basically a backup or spare; an alternative method to establish buoyancy in the event your wing or D/S fails. You pump air into the other to reestablish your buoyancy. I don't want to go against whatever your instructor is going to teach you, so it's probably best you take the class & be your own judge as to which method you prefer.

If you're weighted properly, you'll need minimal air in whichever source you choose. I don't want to push my bias opinion on you, I just prefer using my wing vs. D/S.

Suit up, Dive & have fun. Be sure to keep us posted.:D

i was taught to use the dry suit i found it anoying so i dive with a 7mm wetsuit in 44 water

Makes no sense. If you dont want to use the suit for buoyancy use your BCD.
Going back to a wetsuit in cold water is borderline insane.

Makes no sense. If you dont want to use the suit for buoyancy use your BCD.
Going back to a wetsuit in cold water is borderline insane.

where do you get the borderline?
Just in case you haven't found it, some agencies teach you to use your DS for buoyancy BECAUSE you pretty much have to add air to your suit or else you would be in some "discomfort" so why should the student get all confused with adding air in two places and in turn having to purge air from two places.

I agree that if properly weighted the air that you add to your suit should just about be all the air you need, however once the squeeze is eliminated, I feel you would be better using your Buoyancy Compensator to compensate for buoyancy and only rely on your dry suit to keep you dry (well I don't know if I would rely on keeping totally dry either...)

oh and this is not a stupid question, I was expecting something like, "
why do the hands on a clock always move in a clockwise direction?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom