stupid question time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"This is a forward roll"

Yep, really in depth....

I was doing the very thing today, as a fresh DS owner. No class though.

YMMV, but I don't think you need a class to handle the DS. Yes, advice from users helps, so can an article online, the added bonus there is that you can say you learn to dive on the internet, priceless. :D

I took Dry Suit and Peak Performance Buoyancy together over two days when I first started diving. Found them both to be valuable but of course what you get out of any class is directly proportional to what the instructor (and student) puts into it.

I was told to use the drysuit for buoyancy control. (not taught since I didn't take any classes)
I am very comfortable with this method. BC is used only at the surface.

I use the bc only during tropical dives in my 3mm shorty. But during the first dive of the vacation, it must be a funny sight when I push on my chest on that imaginary button. :)

For the poster who asked about SSI, I was taught to use the suit and both of the store's owners and instructors use it.

I was really glad to read String's post about the difference with doubles. I've been diving doubles
lately and that really clarified what was going on/what I was sensing. Thanks.

I think whether or not a class would benefit someone would be determined by how new of a diver they are, whether or not they have access to a mentor, and their own fear factor.
Being "stuck" upside down and freaking is a valid fear for someone new to a D.S.

Once I had the class I realized that a mentor could easily have shown me how to manage the suit in one or two dives but I had no access to one. Learning in a pool in clear lit water can
also provide a high degree of psychological comfort learning a new and more physical than other aspects of diving, skill.

Additionally some shops will card you for a drysuit rental (D.S. cert.) others never ask.

I did a DS course - it was a pre-requisite to renting a suit before I could afford to buy one (you think they're expensive there, come to Australia and see how you go - retail price on a DUI CLX450 (for example) is now the equivalent of US$3,300 - ouch).

The course taught BC on surface, DS underwater and actually I've never needed to add more than squeeze compensation so haven't had to use the BC underwater. But... I can see some merit in it. For example: my BC (like many others) has a bottom dump valve. If I do start to ascend feet first and have some air in my BC I can quickly dump this and probably correct the situation before it gets out of hand.

Back
Top Bottom