stupid question time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Properly weighted single tank squeeze off should be neutrally buoyant or there abouts. Poorly fitting drysuits (particular ones too long in the leg or foot) or over weighted divers will have issues doing this however. Twin tanks and above its generally not manageable.

If eliminating squeeze makes you neutral then why would you WANT to add air to your BC?

Both devices do the same thing, button for air in, valve to let air out. People should use whatever they're comfortable with here, there is no right or wrong.

I have to teach using suit for buoyancy for for 99% of students this is fine for when they start out diving. I do tell them however "i have to tell you this way but you can also do it this way, pick whats more comfortable to you".

In fact, other than GUE are there any agencies that specifically demand you teach using the BC for buoyancy in a drysuit course?

You'll be taught to use the suit for buoyancy.

After the course however do whatever you prefer. Properly weighted single tank either method is acceptable. With twinsets and so on its not an option to use the suit alone.

just curious why is twinsets differnt? Is it the extra weight?I would think a dry suit has like a hundred + lift on it. but then i would look like a bubble ha ha:D

Makes no sense. If you dont want to use the suit for buoyancy use your BCD.
Going back to a wetsuit in cold water is borderline insane.

i just didnt like how bulky the drysuit was so i went to wetsuit instead way more compterbale... its not geting in thats the problem its geting changed after that is cold.. i usaly go swiming in spring with no suit.. and thats when its cold... i found everyone says you have to be dry and 90 percent of the divers do dive dry but i still like wet over dry.. i mean its only snow..

holy crap haha u r crazy.i live in south carolina and freeze my little but off. Thats the hole reason im getting a dry suit so i candive all winter long, wondering though ,what kind of dry suit did u have? What about it was bulky?Size or the extra underwere and stuff u haft to where with it?

I find a stupidly thick wetsuit (ie 7mm double layer) far heavier and far more restrictive than a good fitting membrane drysuit. My main priority on a dive is comfort. So for that i ALWAYS dive dry when it gets below 20c / 68f and above that a 5mm semi dry and 3mm vest. Never less.
Quite a few boats here wont let people on the longer offshore trips if they're in a wetsuit for safety reasons anyway.

A drysuit shouldn't feel bulky if its a proper fit and not an ancient 7mm neoprene thing - certainly no more than a thick wetsuit.

just curious why is twinsets differnt? Is it the extra weight?I would think a dry suit has like a hundred + lift on it. but then i would look like a bubble ha ha:D

Its due to overweighting. Twinsets have the extra weight of tanks (possibly stages) and so on.
Due to the extra gas you end up starting the dive much heavier than you do with a single tank and this extra weight needs extra gas. Extra gas in the suit is a pain as it moves everywhere (its the same symptom as a single tank diver being overweighted via their belt).
Simplified a bit but assume a 12l tank contains 3kg of gas. Assuming perfect weighting that means you'd start the dive 3kg heavy (to enable you to be neutral at the end of the dive with an empty tank). 3kg is only 3l of air - perfectly manageable in a good fitting drysuit. Now consider twin 12s. You dont want huge amounts of air sloshing around in the suit going to the legs, shoulders, feet and wherever you move. Its unstable and uncomfortable.

Thats now 6kg (13lbs) weight of gas so you're starting that dive 13lbs overweighted. Thats 6l (twice as much) gas in the suit which can get a pain. Now add a stage, say a 7l, thats about 2kg more gas again so for a twin 12 dive with 1 stage you could easily be starting that dive 8kg (18lbs) overweighted. Compare that to a single tank with 3kg (6.5lbs) of gas. Massive difference.

Suit may work for twin 7ls or so but certainly with twin 12ls and/or a stage for me i dont like that much extra gas in my suit.

OK i have recently purchased a dry suit.I have a class set up for it in a week. what i was impationtly wondering do u use the bc or the suit itself for going up and down.

thanx

Sorry about this but..................I always get a kick out of hearing about "dry suit class". Christ for what you pay for the suit, the LDS should throw in the 30 min it takes to teach you how use the thing.

i agree depth but this is not a 30 min class. I think it will include about 2hrs class and 2 dives. they go into depth about recovery from floaty feet and stuff like that. im really looking forward to it:D:D:D:D:D

they go into depth about recovery from floaty feet and stuff like that. im really looking forward to it:D:D:D:D:D

"This is a forward roll"

Yep, really in depth....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom