Studying for nitrox class- please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, just call me Hoover. :wink:

I used to know a diver named Jim. I haven't seen him in the water in years. :shocked2:

I saw him recently
manatee.jpg

= Use Depth + 33 / 33 to see how many atmospheres of pressure you're at:

<pedantic>
Might want to watch how you write those equations. I read that and see "Depth + 1" (since 33/33 = 1).

Even meaning it how you meant it I would think that: Depth / 33 + 1 [Or if you want to be even clearer: (Depth / 33) + 1] makes a lot more sense. Who wants to go to the trouble of adding 33?
</pedantic>

Maybe this will help you:

How many ATM is 60 feet?
= Use (Depth + 33) / 33 to see how many atmospheres of pressure you're at:
= (60 + 33) = 93, divided by 33 = 2.818 ATM

(A quick check - we know 66' is 3 atmospheres, so just under that = 2.818 for 60 feet)

If your air lasts 90 minutes on the surface at 1 ATM, you will consume it at a rate 2.818 faster at 60 feet, so...

90 divided by 2.818 = 31.93 minutes

[(PSI / Minutes) x 33] / (depth +33)

Thanks for the help, I'll do something like that about 5 more times and it should be securely learned.

You can also do the above calculation for ATA as follows:

(Depth / 33) +1 or

(90 / 33) + 1 = 1.818 +1 = 2.818

Some people find one method easier, some the other. Of course, if we stubborn Americans would just switch to metric it becomes childishly simple to do in our heads - even a caveman could do it (tm).

(Depth in meters / 10) +1

All you have to do is move the decimal in the depth one place to the left and add one:

(18.2m / 10m) +1= 1.82 + 1 = 2.82 ATA.

Have fun (or not, as the case may be :D)

Guy

I'd love a lecture that includes gestures, lol. "You have this much air" (hands spread wide) and when you descend, the air gets compacted (hands getting closer together) by x amount, the number of molecules doesn't change, but they get squished closer togther..."
I need visuals!

:DThat's how I teach this topic. Very animated makes it come to life.
Come see me in SoCal (soon or in SoFL)...

:DThat's how I teach this topic. Very animated makes it come to life.
Come see me in SoCal (soon or in SoFL)...

Hah, I showed it this way once too. Except I added the molecules go "squishy". I was speaking to a bunch of biology PhD's. I got four blank looks and hysterical giggles from the fifth. Later, my boss sent an email that said:

Squishy?

That was a good day. :)

Some people find one method easier, some the other. Of course, if we stubborn Americans would just switch to metric it becomes childishly simple to do in our heads - even a caveman could do it (tm).

(Depth in meters / 10) +1

All you have to do is move the decimal in the depth one place to the left and add one:

(18.2m / 10m) +1= 1.82 + 1 = 2.82 ATA.

That's blind stupid luck on the part of the metric system. There's
no physical relationship between atm. and meters of sea water.

Now, don't get me wrong: I think the metric system is better, and
can do rough metric conversions in my head. But that's just blind
stupid luck, not something that's inherently better in metric.

You got it. Of course, you'll need to factor in a possible increased air consumption rate based on cold, exertion, and leave a safe amount of air for surfacing plus a contingency amount. But that's the gist of it.

This brings an interesting question to mind. I have calculated my SAC rate over hundreds of dives in Monterey and it is an invariant 0.45 cu.ft./min. I've also calculated it over several hundred dives in the Caribbean (Little Cayman, to be exact). Down there, I consume just slightly under 0.30 cu.ft./min. That says I use 50% more air here in Monterey than I do in tropical waters, and to me that's an astounding difference. I wonder if anybody else has measured anything similar?

I'm going back down to Little Cayman for a month starting next week and will be doing lots more measurements. This time I'm taking a heart rate monitor and will be very curious to see if the heart beat rate is noticeably lower than when diving cold water.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom