Strongly considering solo diving - lets talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndigoBlue:
Did I/Qs in California just suddenly nose dive again?

Your odds of coming back from a solo dive are significantly less, than coming back from a buddy dive.

In most diving fatalities, the victim was separated from his/her buddy.

I know logic is a really tough thing.

LOL...Lets use that logic here....I'd like to understand the basis for your conclusion that solo divers are significantly less likely to come back....

"Divers being separated from their buddy" isn't the same thing as a solo dive unless *you* are classifying that as a solo dive just to try to make your point.

Is it that you know of many more solo diving fatalities as compared to buddy diving fatalaties? I'd like to have the benefit of that data...Please point me to it.

My understanding (from a recent quote by Genesis) is that only a 100 divers die a year, in total...

...and I'm not sure how I/Q's in California have anything to do with this...Personal attacks don't solve anything...

scubasean:
LOL...Lets use that logic here....I'd like to understand the basis for your conclusion that solo divers are significantly less likely to come back....

"Divers being separated from their buddy" isn't the same thing as a solo dive unless *you* are classifying that as a solo dive just to try to make your point.

Is it that you know of many more solo diving fatalities as compared to buddy diving fatalaties? I'd like to have the benefit of that data...Please point me to it.

My understanding (from a recent quote by Genesis) is that only a 100 divers die a year, in total...

...and I'm not sure how I/Q's in California have anything to do with this...Personal attacks don't solve anything...

DAN's statistics, which I analyzed here (I'm sorry, but you'll have to search for it - I don't have a direct link) show that about half of the divers who croaked were solo at the time of the incident.

About half of THOSE were unintentionally solo (e.g. they did a buddy dive, and somehow got separated.)

MOST of the other solo fatalities were so stupid as to be beyond computation as solo diving having anything to do with the fatality itself.

What we don't know is the number of buddy dives .vs. the number of solo dives; thus, we cannot accurately give you a "risk of death" because the denominator is not know.

However, DAN does record about 100 deaths diving a year, and somewhere north of a thousand DCS hits that are significant enough to require treatment. That is, in fact, a remarkably small number given the total number of exposures.

Genesis:
MOST of the other solo fatalities were so stupid as to be beyond computation as solo diving having anything to do with the fatality itself.

What we don't know is the number of buddy dives .vs. the number of solo dives; thus, we cannot accurately give you a "risk of death" because the denominator is not know.

Which was exactly what I suspected...There is no data showing what was claimed...that you are at significantly greater risk of not coming back after solo diving than if you had been buddy diving.

that the failure of a buddy team is more likely to kill you than diving solo in the first place.

If you want to quote odds then please tell us exactly what the odds are. I think this will be hard to do as the numbers just don't seem to be kept.

IndigoBlue:
Did I/Qs in California just suddenly nose dive again?

Your odds of coming back from a solo dive are significantly less, than coming back from a buddy dive.

In most diving fatalities, the victim was separated from his/her buddy.

I know logic is a really tough thing.
I dive the same equipment and procedures whether I'm solo, with a buddy or with a group. Barring a serious problem underwater, the odds of coming back are equal. If there was a problem, having a buddy is no guarantee that you wil survive, or that either of you will. I practice some skills on nearly every dive that will help me get out of a bad situation. I always dive doubles, so I could always close off a post if needed. I have three buoyancy devices on me at all times, a drysuit, 55# wing and liftbag. I am also weighted so that I am neutrally buoyant at 20 feet with near empty tanks, so CO2 buildup is not much of an issue.
The only problem I see with solo diving is the fact that many solo divers are not even competant enough to buddy dive.

Your arguments against solo diving are starting to become tiresome. Describing soloing as an act of 'gross negligence' can't be substantiated with any of the 'facts' you put forth, so you have to resort to guilt-tripping and insulting people.

If you don't have the inclination to participate in this type of diving, then please don't. That's a perfectly acceptable decision on your part.

There are plenty of divers that have the skills, equipment redundancy, and DESIRE to solo. So, get off your soapbox, take care of your own act, and quit acting like you're somebody's mother...

pipedope:
that the failure of a buddy team is more likely to kill you than diving solo in the first place.

If you want to quote odds then please tell us exactly what the odds are. I think this will be hard to do as the numbers just don't seem to be kept.

Give me a break Michael. Mo2vation asked us our opinions of solo. I gave him mine. I hope it resonates with him.

My wife insists that I not solo dive anymore. I am sure Mo2's wife would feel the same way.

Regarding the stats, they are available to anyone who cares to do their own google search. I am not going to nurse-feed the rest of these children.

I love reading your posts, PipeD. Very thoughtful, all of them.

He didn't ask you what his wife thought about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom