Strongly considering solo diving - lets talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Anyone who's dived with me (or read my stuff here) knows I'm pretty inflexible when it comes to practicing good buddy skills, and really intolerant of poor buddy skills. Through my DIR-F I’ve become a huge fan of team diving and all that entails. I'm totally on board with all of it.

But the thing is this: Sometimes, I ache to dive alone.

There are times when I just gotta dive – and I’m on a boat by myself and there simply is no suitable or willing buddy. Case in point: My recent trip to Monterey over T-giving (what up, Atticus?) on a boat by myself, hooked up by the DM with an insta-buddy – dude had 12 dives. I drove for 6 hours round trip, and at the end of an 11 hour day, I had one 21 minute dive and one 30 minute dive. The guy had issues, and my day sucked.

Or this weekend on a boat in Ventura – by myself again. I was lurking on the margins of some groups from the boat, in shallow water, and sort of wondered off and did my first solo dives. I loved it. It was peaceful, it was relaxing, it was mellow. My huge tank and my recent gas sippage gives me mad bottom time at these shallow depths… and I enjoyed the solitude. It was wonderful.

Honestly, what I missed most from the 3 solo dives this weekend was someone to share the experience with when I came up… that whole “dude, did you see that huge ray? Wasn’t that harbor seal a fatty?” and all that stuff. Apart from the initial nagging doubt and genuine heightened awareness of EVERYTHING, it was cool.

I’ve searched all the threads. I’ve read both sides of the issue for months. But it comes down to this for me: Sometimes (by choice or by chance) I’ll dive alone. You need to understand, this goes against everything I’ve embraced over the last year or so. So I want to bring it out here so we can discuss it.

Here comes the rationalization part: I often go on trips alone. I’m selling off my land camera rig to get a kickin’ wet rig – I’m going to be shooting a lot underwater, and I know I'm going to be diving alone soon. Likely often.

What is the best way to minimize the risks that are inherent with solo diving? Is it a 30 ft pony clipped off like Fido on the left Dring? Should I leave the pony in the stable and get a baby doubles with an isolator? Is it staying at reasonable depths (like 60’ and up?), keeping the dive duration short (like 45 minutes or less?) Maybe solo only from boat dives? I’m looking to speak with people who have given this a lot of thought, and have taken rational steps to enter safely into solo diving.

Spare me your one liners and your lectures about always being with a buddy. You know I've got all that, thanks. This has been something coming on for many months, and I want to knock this around some more.

Thanks –

K

I'll be honest and say, much to my wifes dismay, that I've got a few solo's under my belt. Granted they have all been in shallows, I feel I had some of my better dives this last part of the year as solo's. I had no worries as to "where is my buddy now??" or any of the other 8 things you think about simultaniously when with others.. I concentrated on my dive, my gear, my guages, my equipment and while diving I was able to focus totally on what I wanted to do. It's not for everyone, thats a fact. I do believe that if your comfortable with your skills and gear and feel competent enough there is no reason you can't do it... just remember your back up equipment.

With the line of divers they are putting out these days I won't dive with anyone who isn't one of my military bros. We always enter the water at the same time but sometimes if seperated continue the dive and meet at the boat and count bugs. It sounds scary but really less stressful and frankly trust is what diving is all about. I'm on board with the idea.

Get thyself a pair of steel 72s, and double them.

You now have your own backup, and if you dive it as thirds, you have enough redundancy for anything you might care to do. In many cases you can get TWO OW dives off one set of double 72s.

Dive your long hose, with a bungied backup. Two first stages, two seconds, a nice isolator and two spigots. If you feel the need to dive into deco, get yourself a 40 and fill it with 50/50. If you want more exposure than THAT allows, its probably a good time to find a buddy you can trust for THAT dive.

I went down this road some time ago, and I'm happy with it. I prefer being in control of my own destiny, not having to babysit someone else, and being able to do my own thing. I don't mind diving with others, but there are times I just want to dive and be left alone.

Vortex last week was one of those. It started as just a "keep the skills up soak", but then I saw the cave beckoning me, and I had my full kit on.

I've done a lot of penetration dives in the ocean with a buddy. I'm always hyperalert to HIM, because if he kicks the bottom, knocks something loose or collapses the wreck he screws us both. That means I can't pay as much attention to what I'd like to, because I have to be my buddy's keeper, and he mine. Yes, he brings me a spare brain and 4 spare limbs, but if I screw myself that badly that I need him, I might kill him too, and then what? I get to burn in hell not only for my own stupidity, but for taking someone else with me? There's definitely a problem with that.

It was kick-azz being in there alone. I was able to study the cave, study the eels that were back in there, enjoy the experience. It was an almost transcendental thing. Nobody else - no other lights, no other noise, nobody except myself, the rock and the water.

Yeah, I know its "against all that is DIResque." But if you're qualified to do it, you accept the risks with full knowledge of what they are, then I see no problem with it at all.

I am concerned about someone solo diving who hasn't throught through the risks and possible ways they can die down there. But if you have, you have configured yourself to avoid what you can, and have accepted what's left, with full knowledge of the consequences, then I say have at it.

Ken- You know where I stand on that issue. I wouldn't have done 20% of the diving I do if I didn't go solo most of the time. Just no one available to do the number of dives I do in a year... the ones who do are busy instructing or doing commercial work. As you know, I've had a situation or two diving solo but far more diving with inexperienced buddies.

Did mostly solo dives on my stint in the Sea of Cortez the past few weeks. Had to to get the job done. However I must admit that the two dives I did with a buddy while down there were even better than the solo ones.

Yep, you guessed it... she was an awesome mermaid. Attractive yes, but most important she was intelligent, interested in what we saw, wanted to learn more and so sharing the dive afterwards was lots of fun. In addition she had good skills and kept out of my way when I needed a clear shot, and pointed out a few things that I missed.

I think I'm in love... but what's new! Maybe my solo days are coming to a close... I almost wish. What am I saying???

Dr. Bill

I never really felt that even a 30 cu ft pony cut it for deep solo diving. My standard configuration is a set of independent doubles. It works well for solo diving and ensures I always have more than enough air to get me back to where I started. The retired 30 ft pony comes in handy for Nitrox 50 for a little extra saftey during the deco.

As for limits I can't say they are any different that what I do with a buddy and in some cases I will actually do more than I would comfortably do with a buddy. Dive planning is easier and I do not have to bother with keeping track of a buddy during the dive and can concentrate fully on the task at hand. Solo diving can be very liberating.

In low viz it is very comforting to know that a buddy is not going to screw up and silt things out. Some of what I do is also commercial diving where a buddy just does not really work out. They are either setting there totally bored or they are getting in the way and killing what ever viz is available.

I am also a very streamlined diver and fast swimmer so when solo I can usually cover far more ground than I can with a buddy and I have found it is far easier and more certain to get back to an anchor line or ascent line when solo. Everytime I have had to shoot a bag and ascend somewhere else, it has been with a buddy who had a problem, got tired, ran short of air, decided they needed to go up right now, etc. In that regard, deco diving is some respects safer when I am alone as I have a lot more control of how the dive progresses, communication among all the divers is instant and 100% reliable, and I never have to worry about someone else sucking up my reserve or deco gas.

You need to be 100% proficient in your skills and have a particular knack for things like navigation, air management, dive planning and contingency planning. You are all of the brain power available on the dive to solve a problem if one develops so you need to be competent and also confident, but in a very humble and realistic way.

When I am solo diving, I pay close attention to my comfort level and do not hesistate to call the dive if conditions vary from what is expected. I think to solo dive safely you need to be exceptionally aware of your skills, abilities and limitations as they apply to a particular situation on a particular day and have the forseight and wisdom to know when to back off a bit. You also need to be familiar with the area and the conditions and if not you need to be very conservative in your dive planning with very limited goals and objectives for the dive.

Mo2vation:
Spare me your one liners
Considering the thread title, it's pretty hard to avoid making comments like "You should get together with yourself and have a solo talk"

A couple jabs first: waaaay too many guys attempt to justify solo diving by complaining about other divers. The last thing a new diver needs is a reluctant, whining, unhappy buddy. Enjoy the enthusiam and excitement of new divers, or get a different buddy.
Jab 2: One can read many things into your comments of diving on the margin of a group then sort of wandering off. If you start off as part of a group, stick with it unless you have prior understandings. I don't mind solo divers. OTOH, it causes great consternation when someone in my group starts wandering off. Be forthright and honest with other divers about your intentions.

My rules for diving solo are pretty simple:
1. Look for other alternatives before doing it.
2. Only do it in relatively benign conditions.

My redundant air source is the atmosphere. I've practiced a couple ESAs from 90+ feet, but don't generally solo dive below 60'. Most of my solo diving has been relatively shallow shore dives --- more like 25 or 30'.

As you noted, the solitude is a double edged sword. You can just hover for 15 minutes watching a jawfish move rocks and not worry about a buddy getting bored. OTOH, you and only you saw that formation of 6 eagle rays soar by.

"But the thing is this: Sometimes, I ache to dive alone."

I feel your pain, I too someetimes feel the need to dive alone. A few things came to mind before I ventured into the deep solo. First I got myself a redundant air source (30cuft), with xbrackett I mount it and my light canister to my primary air source. I carry 2 comps, analogue depth and pressure gauges, B timer, backup lights, a reel and bag...I'm sure you get the idea. I usually limit myself to shallower depths, dive a very famillar site and ALWAYS tell a friend where I'm at and when I'll be back.
I can honestly say that with the proper training, equiptment and attitude it is a very possible thing to do. I have had some of my best dives solo, once encountering a very friendly woof eel which let me pet it under the chin for a couple minutes, he/she followed me until I was at about 30 ft then dissapered into the deep.
Most training agencys will definetly not condone the practice of "solo diving" I
I always argued that the instructor leading a dive is tecnically solo diving because he/she dosent't have an "assigned" buddy...opinions on that are welcome... I asked my instructor about this and she said the DM was her buddy, yet the DM was in the back of the group many kicks away ??
My GF does not like when I dive alone but thats a story for a different day.

Charlie99:
Jab 2: One can read many things into your comments of diving on the margin of a group then sort of wandering off. If you start off as part of a group, stick with it unless you have prior understandings. I don't mind solo divers. OTOH, it causes great consternation when someone in my group starts wandering off. Be forthright and honest with other divers about your intentions.

Good point - my intentions were to solo. The DM knew it as I entered (there were a lot of solo divers on the boat this weekend) Truth is, I was chicken, so I kept the group in eyeshot...for awhile. I wasn't with the group, and they knew it. You're point is spot on, Charlie. I would never do that.

To your first point - I didn't intend to make it sound like I'm whining about insta-buddies, so I'm going solo. I've jumped on dive boats many, many times by myself and have usually had a kick it up time. I love diving with new buddies and my regular buddies. But I would like to consider option three: none of the above, and go solo.

Sharky - I hear ya. I always dive with two masks, two cutting devices, two lights and two pressure gauges - two fins (!) as well. I dive dry so I also have redundant buoyancy.

To All: I'm recreational guy. No intent to solo trimix into the abyss, no deco, no overhead, etc...

K

Ken,

What it all boils down to is what you are willing to risk for what you'll get in return. Diving is never without any sort of risk, buddy or not, as you well know. You could continue diving with a buddy and still end up dead if something goes wrong. As a finance geek, risk/reward is something that I know all too well. Every day for me is an exercise in evaluating risk in light of potential rewards.

If you've taken the time to do your research and have taken measures to reasonably mitigate your unacceptable risks down to acceptable risks in your eyes, then go for it. It's your life and only you can judge whether risks you undertake in diving solo is worth what you get from it. Of course, everything will be based on your experience, skills, confidence, and comfort level in diving solo. As for me, I don't think I'm ready personally for diving solo, and for that matter, I may never be. But it sounds like you are at a point in your diving where you have the confidence to take on these risks.

For me, I've accepted the inconveniences of diving with insta-buddies as part of diving. I did a fair bit of diving this past summer on my own (without a pre-arranged buddy). For me, it is part of the experience. I've dove with less experienced divers, but I've also had the chance to dive with more experienced divers from whom I've been able to learn. And for the most part, I don't mind the less experience divers as long as they are safe divers. So far, I've been fairly lucky and have only once had to refuse to dive with someone whom I did not feel comfortable. Who knows, maybe someday I will change my mind on this.

At the end of the day if you can say "yes" to the question: "Is it worth the risk?", then go for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom