Strongly considering solo diving - lets talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation:
Case in point: My recent trip to Monterey over T-giving (what up, Atticus?) on a boat by myself, hooked up by the DM with an insta-buddy – dude had 12 dives. I drove for 6 hours round trip, and at the end of an 11 hour day, I had one 21 minute dive and one 30 minute dive. The guy had issues, and my day sucked.

It's nice to know us noobs can rely on you seasoned veterans to take us under your wing and help so maybe we won't make the mistakes or create the "issues". Not all of us were experts on our first dive as you must have been. So this is what I have to look forward?

Mo2vation:
Spare me your one liners and your lectures about always being with a buddy. Thanks –

K

Sometimes being a buddy means more than the actual dive.

I apologize for the rant but to a noob (at least me) thats what your post screams.

Scott

Scott M:
It's nice to know us noobs can rely on you seasoned veterans to take us under your wing and help so maybe we won't make the mistakes or create the "issues". Not all of us were experts on our first dive as you must have been. So this is what I have to look forward?

So seasoned divers who pay just as much for that expensive vacation should have their dive time cut in half because they got stuck with someone with poor training and no experience?

Belive me, I guarantee I would dive solo rather than hookup with someone selfish enough to make that statement.

Scott M:

I apologize for the rant but to a noob (at least me) thats what your post screams.

Scott

I think maybe you're misunderstanding him. While most (or at least many) experienced divers are happy to help new divers there are times when you just want to dive like when the available time is minimum and the cost is maximum.

James Goddard:
So seasoned divers who pay just as much for that expensive vacation should have their dive time cut in half because they got stuck with someone with poor training and no experience?

So, you were never a new diver? And you must have also been born with experience and skills? Some of are that not that lucky.

Belive me, I guarantee I would dive solo rather than hookup with someone selfish enough to make that statement.

I think this statement speaks for itself, have a nice day.

Scott

MikeFerrara:
I think maybe you're misunderstanding him. While most (or at least many) experienced divers are happy to help new divers there are times when you just want to dive like when the available time is minimum and the cost is maximum.

I can see Ken's point from that perspective. I have read many of Ken's posts and he has never given me the impression that he gave anybody a hard time over lack of experience or issues.

My response was from the hip and I should have thought it out a little more before responding. I apologise to Ken for that. It's early and I haven't had my coffee yet.

As I was reading the post I could see myself in that situation, although I believe I have done everything at this point to insure I will be as prepared as possible to be a compitent diver and a good buddy.

Scott

Scott M:
So, you were never a new diver? And you must have also been born with experience and skills? Some of are that not that lucky.

Yes I was a new diver. No, I never expected other people to babysit me. I sought out good local training and dove with people of similar skills to myself. It was not until I had experience and confidence as a diver that I went off on trips by myself where I would be paired up with other divers.

Your statements are so typical of today's me me me society. Nothing is ever your fault or responsibility. Again, I find the fact that you expect some stranger to babysit for you extremely selfish. That's not their responsibility and it's not why they go diving. My dive vacations average about $1500. If I go diving and get stuck with someone who cuts my bottom time in half, should I expect them to compesate me for the difference?

James Goddard:
Yes I was a new diver. No, I never expected other people to babysit me. I sought out good local training and dove with people of similar skills to myself. It was not until I had experience and confidence as a diver that I went off on trips by myself where I would be paired up with other divers.

I took my OW, Actually I took it privately, for several reasons, one was time constraints, the other was I felt I would receive better instruction. (Which I believe I did). Some friends (very experienced divers) asked me to go to PDC with them this Feb. I agreed. As I did not want them to have to "babysit" me. I scheduled several skills sessions with a local DM. One of which has now been completed. I will do the other two or three before I go. I have expressed to my friends that I do not want to be a hinderence in any way shape or form, to which they laugh and reply we were all new and are looking forward to helping me enjoy the dive.

Your statements are so typical of today's me me me society. Nothing is ever your fault or responsibility. Again, I find the fact that you expect some stranger to babysit for you extremely selfish. That's not their responsibility and it's not why they go diving. My dive vacations average about $1500. If I go diving and get stuck with someone who cuts my bottom time in half, should I expect them to compesate me for the difference?

Again this statement speaks for itself. A bold statement from someone who does not know me or my abilities, diving or otherwise.

Scott

Scott M:

I agree with you Scott and I think there is an obligation for more experienced divers to pass on their experience to newer divers. The majority of my dives last year were with relatively newly minted divers and my boat is open to any new divers who want to come aboard. One of the few buddies I trust is an instuctor and has the same basic policy on his boat as a service to his newly certified divers.

Consequently, we leave the dock at 6am to do a deep dive for the day and then come back to the dock to pick up other divers at 9am. since the odds of getting below 60 ft with them are very very slim. On the routine shallow dives I am usually paired with buddy and dive with or without the rest of the group, depending on the skills of the buddy. I also frequenty assist with taking divers on their first deep dives and/or deep specialty check dives. In this role I usually act as a trailing safety diver to ensure no one wanders off, that everyone gets back to the ascent line and gets off the bottom in good order. This incidentally is a whole lot easier to do solo and allows me to assist a diver who is having problems without deserting a buddy. The extra air in a set of doubles also comes in handy if a new diver has air related problems.

I have no problem assisting a diver to gain experience and learn or practice their skills on a normal weekend at the lake. But to be honest, after spending so much time doing that each summer, I really appreciate the chance to go solo when the occasion arises.

A PADI instrutcor who works out of our LDS certifies a ton of divers each year on private courses after they decide they want to get certified two weeks before they are supposed to leave for the the Bahamas or Mexico. They are a large percentage of his business, but I pity every other person who will ultimately get stuck on the same dive boat with them. Even if they are the perfect buddy, their inexperience pretty much dooms the whole boat to the well trampled easy to dive sites.

On the one tropical trip I can afford a year I absolutley do not under any circumstances want to be paired with a new diver or with a diver who is not 100% self sufficient. Given the cost per dive and my distance from salt water, I am not going to abort a dive because the buddy can't get down, is not comfortable at depth or hoovers his or her air. There is far more likely to be a homicide than an abort. And I REALLY REALLY absolutely do not want to be paired with the guy who spent the first couple days of the trip doing his checkout dives as he did not feel like getting this done in the murky local waters around Cleveland or where ever he came from. A tropical trip is absolutely NOT the place to do your OW checkouts.

So my thoughts are that expereinced divers should take the time and effort to help newer divers. But at the same time, newer divers should show the foresight to get certified well in advance of their dive trip to somewhere warm and should demonstrate the dedication to get as much experience as possible locally before they leave on a trip to inflict themselves on a more experienced buddy who is also paying $100 plus per dive somewhere nice. (It's definitely to your credit that you are seeking experience before you leave on your trip.)

Similarly, if the only diving a diver does is one or two tropical trips per year, they need to find another hobby. Fifty dives spread over 5 trips and five years is worth a whole lot less than 50 dives done locally over the course of a summer. There are many traveling divers who will never dive enough to be competent or safe and I certainly do not want to buddy with them in Cozumel even if they feel they are experienced divers as they have been diving for "5 years".

Walter:
Most of the divers out there need to dive with a DM holding their hand.....

And until we can drive the level of outrage high enough over this, the problem will continue unabated.

There is no reason why anyone in a land of "certifications" should be that bad. Those people did not learn to dive - they learned to breathe underwater.

The two skills are NOT the same.

Mo2vation:
But the thing is this: Sometimes, I ache to dive alone.

Alright hand'em over... jet fins, bp, long hose...

*shakes head in dismay*

Edit: addition
Spare me your one liners and your lectures about always being with a buddy.

LOL, sorry I didn't read your whole post before replying! :D

Back
Top Bottom