Strongly considering solo diving - lets talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyklon_300:
relate your 'near miss' with a blown tire and your marital status? You claim it could have been a life-threatening incident.

Only orphans with no siblings should drive or solo dive by your logic.
Its actually quite a bit better than this.

About 100 people a year die diving. Therefore, all of the following activities are illegitimate events to expose yourself to if you are married or have children:

Needle Sticks 100
Fire Ants 100
'99 child in adult car belt 105
Flood 40-81 109
Candles 126
Tornado 40-81 128
Police Officers 2000 151
Lightning 40-81 188
Airline 200
Car Deer Collisions 211
Campylobacter(chicken) 200-1000
IllImm Mex-US Border '97 300
Bicycle Under 14 300
Childbirth 302
CJD brain disease 300-400
Heat related illness 318 Newsweek 8/13/01
Struck by trains 1999 530
CO Poisoning 594
General Aviation 600
Children under 4 cars 700
Recreational Boating 1996 714
Bicycle 1995 800
Railroad 1999 805
Child pedestrian[3] 1,100
Water borne disease 50- 1,200
Agriculture 1,300
CO Poisoning 1,500
Rec Boating 1973 1,754
Car Hit by SUV U Michigan 2,000
Motorcycle 2,500
Car Phone 2002 Harvard 2,500
Subcompact cars NHTSA 2-3,000
EPA Second Hand Smoke 3,000
Fire 4,500
Drowning 4,621
Teen car accidents 5,500
Pedestrian accidents 6,000
Occupational Injuries 6,200
Adverse Drug Reactions 7,000
Food Illness 9,000
Skin Cancers 9,733
Railroad 1917 10,000
Bladder Cancer 11,700
Falls 12,662
Shooting Murder 15,456
Diet related Cancer 16,000
Alchohol Driving 17,126
Influenza 20,000
AIDS 20,000
Radon (EPA high) 20,000
Lukemia 21,000
Suicide 1994[2] (#9) 31,142
Prostate Cancer 40,000
Breast Cancer 44,560
Motor Vehicle 50,000
Lukemia & Related 56,000
Colon Cancer 60,000
Mass Smallpox Vacc 71,250
Unintended Injuries (#5) 87,000
Medical Mistakes 98,000
Alchohol Related 100,000
Adverse Drug Reactions 106,000 JAMA '98
Trauma 125,000
Medical Negligence est 150,000
Lung Cancer 158,700
Diabetes related 169,000
Influenza/pneumonia (#6) 200,000
Obesity (#2?)[1] 300,000
Tobacco related (#1?) 500,000
Cancer (#2) 500,000
Diseases of heart (#1) 733,834

(Source for the list: http://www.arthurhu.com/index/health/death.htm)

I bet that IB participates in at least one of these activities that is willful; some examples include:

Obesity, tobacco use, alcohol use, bicycle riding, driving (someone may be drunk), falls (climb any ladders this holiday season), going to the beach (skin cancer), sushi eating (food illness), walking across the street (pedestrian accidents), living in a house (fire), using a car phone in your car, driving a car (again, this time because a SUV hit you), boating (duh), having gas appliances in the home (CO poisoning), living near water (flood), making more kids with said spouse (childbirth) and living in Florida (fire ants)

Hypocrisy pizzes me off, and what IB is displaying is the worst kind of it, in that its not even based on a reasonable analysis of the facts.

IndigoBlue:
Well if you feel your answer would be too controversial then feel free to keep it to yourself.

My point about solo diving is that M2vation is married, therefore I believe he has no business solo diving.

So if he divorces her, solo diving is OK

evad:
At least there's a method to his logic.

I want his car(s), boat, and all his alcoholic beverages. He should be willing to fork all three over without question, given their relative dangers anywhere from 10x to 1000x+ that of solo diving.

:beer:s are on me, er, Indigo!

May actively try to kill you.

They may suck down all their gas and then take yours.
They may get themselves into all sorts of weird situations and you are *OBLIGATED* to do your best to help them.

The way to dive with a 'bad' buddy is as an instructor. This way you know that you are making the dive safer for the 'bad' buddy but they are NOT making the dive safer for you.

I actually DO have 'business' diving solo. It is very rare but there are some jobs that simply cannot be tended or buddied. There is little that the surface team can do to help except to attempt a rescue or body recovery if I do not surface in a specific time. These are VERY rare and most will not even admit that they happen. I will not give more specifics on this. I don't even recommend that commercial divers do these things, each diver (and team) must make that choice themselves.

DennisS:
So if he divorces her, solo diving is OK
He is supposed to pay her alimony wink

So - what's the difference if you croak solo diving, solo hiking, solo flying, solo driving, solo sailing, solo dog mushing, solo anything? Either way you're dead. I'm way too independent (or is that selfish?) to spend my whole life only doing fun stuff if it's with someone else. Sure, sometimes having a buddy for fun stuff makes it even more fun and sometimes even makes it safer. But - sometimes just getting away from other people is a welcome change.

Along with the freedom of an individual to make his or her own choices as to what risks to take comes the personal responsibility if the consequences of those choices are negative. In Indigo's case, he's made it clear that his choice is not to solo dive and why. Seems the rest of us respect that choice. He does not agree with other people's choice to dive without a buddy, but that is their choice, their risk to accept and their consequences to pay if things go wrong. Mo2vation has asked for and recieved some great input to help him make a decision on this issue. Either way he chooses, whether we agree with him or not, we should all respect that this was HIS decision.

IndigoBlue:
Well if you feel your answer would be too controversial then feel free to keep it to yourself.

My point about solo diving is that M2vation is married, therefore I believe he has no business solo diving.

And I believe that nobody but myself and my family has a right to an opinion on the issue of whether I solo dive.

Though I and the others having a right to have an opinion may disagree, we have so far concluded together that solo diving is just fine...

Yesterday's solo dive was fun, since I am getting better at taking pics underwater.....

Snowbear:
Along with the freedom of an individual to make his or her own choices as to what risks to take comes the personal responsibility if the consequences of those choices are negative. In Indigo's case, he's made it clear that his choice is not to solo dive and why. Seems the rest of us respect that choice. He does not agree with other people's choice to dive without a buddy, but that is their choice, their risk to accept and their consequences to pay if things go wrong. Mo2vation has asked for and recieved some great input to help him make a decision on this issue. Either way he chooses, whether we agree with him or not, we should all respect that this was HIS decision.

What she said...

IndigoBlue:

Arn't you more likely to be injured or killed by your spouse than by solo diving? Just a thought...

Back
Top Bottom