Strongly considering solo diving - lets talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I've said many times, keep your grubby paws out of my living room and bedroom.

The decisions my family makes regarding what is acceptable risk for any of us in life are none of your business.

Is that we only have real numbers on the acidents and those are suspect. While a fatality is more likely to be reported and noticed it is not always reported to DAN or other diving authority.

The numbers of dives and divers are simply guesses. While I think that they may be good guesses for most diving I think that solo diving is seriously underreported as solo divers get slammed. Most people who dive solo don't tell anyone.

My list of safest diving to least safe diving goes like this;

1. Not diving.
2. Tended diving. (commercial, usually you have to pay someone to choke hose)
3. Diving in a *good* buddy TEAM.
4. Solo diving.
5. Diving with a *bad* buddy.

Anybody who thinks diving is "safe" does not understand what is going on. Diving is dangerous, it can be made 'safer' but you cannot eliminate the danger.

Generally when you reduce one danger you increase another. The trick is to reduce the dangers as much as you can or at least as much as you need to have an acceptable level of risk FOR THE DIVE AND DIVER AT HAND.

For 'most' people on this board this means diving with a buddy. To make this work better try to have one, or a few buddies that you dive AND train with regularly.

With an unknown, pickup buddy at the dive site you don't know, until it is too late, if your safety is better or worse with that buddy.

pipedope:
Is that we only have real numbers on the acidents and those are suspect. While a fatality is more likely to be reported and noticed it is not always reported to DAN or other diving authority.

The numbers of dives and divers are simply guesses. While I think that they may be good guesses for most diving I think that solo diving is seriously underreported as solo divers get slammed. Most people who dive solo don't tell anyone.

My list of safest diving to least safe diving goes like this;

1. Not diving.
2. Tended diving. (commercial, usually you have to pay someone to choke hose)
3. Diving in a *good* buddy TEAM.
4. Solo diving.
5. Diving with a *bad* buddy.

Anybody who thinks diving is "safe" does not understand what is going on. Diving is dangerous, it can be made 'safer' but you cannot eliminate the danger.

Generally when you reduce one danger you increase another. The trick is to reduce the dangers as much as you can or at least as much as you need to have an acceptable level of risk FOR THE DIVE AND DIVER AT HAND.

For 'most' people on this board this means diving with a buddy. To make this work better try to have one, or a few buddies that you dive AND train with regularly.

With an unknown, pickup buddy at the dive site you don't know, until it is too late, if your safety is better or worse with that buddy.

I have always considered diving with a bad buddy to be more desirable than diving solo. Even the worst buddies that I have had occastion to dive with, up to the point where I aborted whatever they were doing that I thought was unsafe, at least these guys were good for something: they were carrying an 80 cu ft pony tank for me, that was mine for the taking, if I ever truly needed it. :)

Whether diving with a bad buddy or diving solo, we are still engaged in a discussion of The Lesser Of Two Weevils. I would prefer to choose neither.

IndigoBlue:
I have always considered diving with a bad buddy to be more desirable than diving solo. Even the worst buddies that I have had occastion to dive with, up to the point where I aborted whatever they were doing that I thought was unsafe, at least these guys were good for something: they were carrying an 80 cu ft pony tank for me, that was mine for the taking, if I ever truly needed it. :)

That "carrier" might disagree.

An underwater fight for a regulator is very likely to end with TWO dead divers.

Genesis:
As I've said many times, keep your grubby paws out of my living room and bedroom.

The decisions my family makes regarding what is acceptable risk for any of us in life are none of your business.

Genesis these words that you are using are code words. I do not have a problem with either issue that you allude to. I am a very liberal minded person when it comes to the rights of others.

And besides, it does not matter what kind of committed relationship you are involved in. My point stands, that unless you are totally uninvolved in any kind of relationship at all and/or you have no dependent children or other dependent relatives, then you have no business solo diving.

IndigoBlue:
Are you married, Evad? And/or do you have kids? Just curious. I hope you don't mind answering.

I don't mind answering at all, but I don't want to abet the highjacking and eventual disentigration of an interesting thread. I probably shouldn't have said that.

evad:
I don't mind answering at all, but I don't want to abet the highjacking and eventual disentigration of an interesting thread.

Well if you feel your answer would be too controversial then feel free to keep it to yourself.

My point about solo diving is that M2vation is married, therefore I believe he has no business solo diving.

IndigoBlue:
Genesis these words that you are using are code words. I do not have a problem with either issue that you allude to. I am a very liberal minded person when it comes to the rights of others.
No you're not. You prove it below.
And besides, it does not matter what kind of committed relationship you are involved in. My point stands, that unless you are totally uninvolved in any kind of relationship at all and/or you have no dependent children or other dependent relatives, then you have no business solo diving.

And my point stands as well, which is that your view is a bigoted, interventionist, big-brother view of the world.

IndigoBlue:
Well if you feel your answer would be too controversial then feel free to keep it to yourself.

My point about solo diving is that M2vation is married, therefore I believe he has no business solo diving.

So when I'm living with a woman 2 1/2 to 3 years (the biologically correct plan), I shouldn't solo dive. What about the interim?

relate your 'near miss' with a blown tire and your marital status? You claim it could have been a life-threatening incident.

Only orphans with no siblings should drive or solo dive by your logic.

Back
Top Bottom