Strobe/Wireless Dive Computer Interference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danclem

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi:

Is anyone aware of interference issues between wireless dive computers and strobes?

A dive buddy attended an underwater seminar and he ran into someone who indicated his wireless dive computer would stop working when he fired his strobes. No models or brands were discussed.

I use twin Ikelite 125's on a Subal housing and recently switched to a wireless UWATEC Smart Z dive computer.

Thanks for any assistance!

Dan

I have never had nor ever seen this happen. I keep hearing about "my friend's buddy's second cousin's buddy's friend" having it happen, though :)

Seriously, I almost always dive with at least two strobes of my own and various other strobes firing off around me. I've been diving AI wireless since the mid 90s and it's never caused a problem.

I'm thinking it's just one of those things that sounds good.

I run with two Ikelite DS-125s also on an Aquatica housing. I've used my Suunto Vytec wireless AI with no issues.

Hi All:

Thanks for the feedback. I was having difficulty seeing how there could be a problem, but I have also seen some fairly bizzare things happen in the world of electronics and wireless devices. Will treat it as an urban legend, or maybe "sub"urban legend until we hear directly from someone who has actually had an issue.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi guys, well I will be your someone. I have personally been diving an Uwatec Air Z Nitrox for 6 years, and also teaching scuba for 4 years which has allowed me to try out numerous hoseless air integrated comps. Although I have not experienced it in quite a while, i have had a handful of instances in the past where the air information on my wrist unit went blank after my strobes fired. The information returned within approximately 5 seconds or so. It freaked me out when it first happened (freak accident that I even saw it). However since that time I always check it periodically. I am still using the same Uwatec computer.

Although it should not matter the camera system, the only times I noticed this was approximately 5 years ago when I was shooting a Tetra housing with dual Sea & Sea strobes. I still shoot Sea & Sea strobes but have not had any problems in the recent years with any of the DSLR systems Ive shot with.

Again, through the Grapevine I have heard of it happening to others, including customers using other computers, however I must say I have never heard of the data disappearing and not coming back within seconds.

I CERTAINLY WOULD NOT LET THIS DETER YOU FROM BUYING A HOSELESS AIR INTEGRATED. As a scuba and underwater photo instructor, I feel Hoseless AI is by far the safest, most streamlined system for the underwater photographer and videographer. Having all vital data on one wrist unit allows the diver to view vital info while taking photos/video, and does not require the diver to fumble to look for the computer...and of course it is more eco-friendly as there is nothing dangling on the reef.

On a last note, since I first encountered the issue roughly 5 years ago, I always carry an analog SPG and tuck it into my BC! My motto in diving is always plan for the "what if"

I use a late model Uwatec Air Z, and currently have a single YS-110 strobe. So far I have never seen a connection issue ever once underwater. *shrug* I do have a small SPG clipped off to my left hip, just in case. Also makes it nice when setting up my gear.

My wife and I both have Oceanic Atom 2.0's.
I have a Nikon D100 with an Ikelite DS125.
Wife uses a Canon PS with an Ike housing.
No problems.

New tech scares people. Until its out there for 10 years people thumb there nose at it.

I use a Vytec with the wireless transmitter w/o a backup spg and have witnessed only a few incidents where the Vytec will lose the connection for a brief time (usually just a few seconds). As I've got the Vytec strapped to my left wrist where I can see it clearly when I am holding my camera, I usually have a very good idea about where my tank pressure is.

I probably have over 100 dives using the wireless transmitter in combination with 1) Canon pt n shoot + fiber optically connect Inon D-200 and 2) DSLR + 2 Inon Z-240's

Yes, just like my encounters, the loss of transmission is just for a few split seconds, but it does occur on occasion!

Back
Top Bottom