Diving fatality in Belgium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
It is with great sadness that I post the tragic loss of a friend, fellow club member, and dive partner, Jean-Marc Depinois, who died during a dive at Carriere de Dongelberg (Dongelberg quarry) yesterday, 28 February 2021.

From the news relayed to me today:
Jean-Marc was diving with two other divers in low vis. His partners exchanged "ok" signals with their lights and then 4 or 5 minutes later he was missing.

Apparently his computer indicated he had ascended from 25 meters to 15 meters before sinking to the bottom where he was found by another group of divers at 40 meters.

He was brought to the surface and removed from the water where resuscitation efforts were unable to revive him.

From the discussion I had moments ago with a fellow club member, the cause of his disappearance from his dive team and subsequent death is unclear/unknown as their is no log function for his Joki rebreather. It is speculated he may have fallen unconscious due to an elevated CO2 concentration. From what I was told, Jean-Marc was using the dive to troubleshoot a problem with his rebreather and had a set of doubles on his back to switch to if necessary. When he was found on the bottom it was evident he had not switched to the open circuit setup which, I am told, had at least 175 bar of air.

Jean-Marc was an accomplished tech and cave diver, diving instructor, and rock climber. He was and will always be well respected by the local diving community and will be remembered for being a great person, friend, and diver.

My sincere condolences and deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

-Z

So very sorry for your loss. No other words.

Thats really sad. I am sorry for your loss.

Seems to be pretty clear, that he had problems with his rebreather.
Do you know what kind of problem he wanted to trouble shoot?

Thats really sad. I am sorry for your loss.

Do you know what kind of problem he wanted to trouble shoot?

Sorry I do not. I was only told that he had an issue with his CCR that he was troubleshooting/checking to ensure was fixed, and had the doubles as backup in case he found the problem not resolved.

It is too soon to probe into this, but I am sure it will be discussed thoroughly at some point in the future among the circle of divers that I am a part of.

Jean-Marc was an officer and head of education for the club Xtrem Divers (Xtrem Divers). He was also an associate member of the club that I am a part of, Les Dragonnets (Ecole de plongée "Les Dragonnets"). The two clubs share a pool for training and often inter-mix members during local dives.

-Z

Sorry for your loss @Zef

No its not, its clear (according the wording of Zef) he did not switch to back-mount.
If he felt unwell, suffered a stroke or heart failure is unknown at the moment.
Zef was describing an ascent found on his computer but no technical log.
It has to be determined what happened during the dive.

@Zef, sorry for the loss of you're (sister)club member.

I am not a CCR diver so I have very little knowledge of how they truly function, other than the exhaled gas is passed through a resin compound that chemically absorbs CO2, and O2 is added to maintain approriate PPO2 for the depth being dived.

That said, any statement at the current time about the cause of death is complete conjecture.

In my discussion with the fellow club memeber who notified me, I postulate that either there was an issue with CO2, an issue with O2 toxicity, or a medical issue that overwhelmed him.

Perhaps those with more exerience/knowledge about CCR diving might have ideas of other possibilities specific to rebreathers.

-Z

So sorry to hear that, man.

Back
Top Bottom