stretched spring strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexxred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Managed to get spring straps onto my jetfins. But have slightly stretched the spring on one. Can anyone explain in simple terms how I would reduce or take a small amount off the spring (about 2 coils) and then put it back together.

Cheers

Alex

Wayward Son:
Dremel tool with a cutting wheel.

... then take a couple of pairs of pliers, grab the new first coil with one and the new second coil with the other, and bend the first coil up to make the new attachment loop.

I use a slotted screwdriver rather than pliers. Stick it into the string where you want the new loop and then push the tip out of the end of the string. Hold the body of the string and lever the free coils upward - I always leave 2 coils trather than 1. I always start by taking off a little less than I think I need to. It saves having to streatch the spring even more when you come up short.

Like they said, cut and bend, keep 2 coils for the end. Firm grip and good tools, don't stab yourself.

Be sure to follow up with an internal cord, caveline or even a good length of shoelace. Tie one end off, thread it through the spring and don the fin marking the required extension, tie off the free end to prevent over extension. Then you can just tug them open without fear of stretching the spring.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom