Stream Air problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronhend

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I need a little help with a refurbished Stream Air reg I bought a couple of months ago.

When I received the reg, I connected it to a tank of air and tried it out just to see if it functioned ok.
It appeared to work fine.

Today I deceided to get in water with it for the first time(pool).

When I connected it to my tank and turned the air on it begin to freeflow and you cannot exhale through it.
I thought that maybe something inside might be sticking closed or shut, so I put it into water to see if that helped.
Still does the same thing.

Any of you guys have any idea's as to what might be the problem??

Thanks,

Ron Henderson

It is a stuck duck bill.

Suggest that you have the regulator overhauled by Vintage double hose.

I would also suggest that you use the fifty year old Stream Air reg at 2250 PSI and under

A stuck duckbill wouldn't have anything to do with the freeflow problem, would it?

First, go to VDH.com and ask this question. Second, to assist you, we need to know what you have done to the regulator since you used it when it didn't free flow. This reg like all in the Mistral "group" is very simple. Unless the seat is shot (not likely) then you may have the levers set too high and as a result, the diaphram is actually opening the seat when you put the cans together.
The duckbill could be stuck shut. If so, pour water in the mouthpiece. It will free the duckbill. OR, maybe you have the mouthpiece mushroom valve in backwards. Remember the mouthpiece has two valves; one on the intake side opens TOWARDS the mouthpiece, the one on the exhaust (left shoulder hose) opens AWAY from the mouthpiece. Check all this out and if it doesn't function as it should, send it to Bryan at Vintagedoublehose.com and it will come back operating as any good Mistral should. Lastly, try to use it at pressures below 2400psi. It can handle 3000, but it is an upstream single stage and the breathing will become easier at lower pressures. I found mine to all operate great below the 2000 psi threshold.
Allan

Ok pure guess here but If somehow....and I have no clue how...you could have managed to get the duckbill folded over and crimped between the diaphram and the outer can, that could hold the diaphram down some and cause a slight freeflow and at the same time crimp the duckbill shut, keeping it from flowing air. Take a look into the can through the holes in it, the duckbill should be laying flat inside against the can or diaphram- depending on which way you are holding it but in any case it should be straight and flat. If it's crimped, you should be able to depress the diaphram some and straighten it with a couple of small wood dowels. If it's straight, send it to VDH for a checkup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom