Strategies, tips and training to make night diving less terrifying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lunula

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not a complete newbie diver, but still sitting at around 100'ish dives total. We've been to Bonaire a few times and also Florida and 5-6 other Caribbean locations.

We took the night-diving "course" offered through SSI back on our first Bonaire trip 4 years ago. That trip was with our dive shop and we were friendly with the dive instructor who informed us we had nothing to worry about because he was going down on the dive with us after the course. Great! So, we show up that evening and we get our final instruction and then find out he is not going. He never really explained why - he just basically said, "Okay, you're ready. Once your dive is over come and find me and I'll sign-off."

Admittedly, we didn't have much of a plan. We'd been diving the spot all week (@ Captain Don's) so we were familiar with the terrain. We decided to take a right off the dock, go out for 15 minutes and then turn around.

However, I was already a bit flustered and not very confident. I hated the vast expanse of blackness all around me. Even with our lights, I could not calm down and I panicked. We ended the dive after 8 glorious minutes!

I feel like I'm missing out by not going on night dives and I know my husband would like to - he doesn't pressure me at all, but I'd like to try it again. I know we need to plan better and maybe even go on a guided dive. I'm more confident now and I'm learning to calm myself, take it easy and enjoy the dives - but honestly, I get a tiny wave of nausea thinking about night dives. :eek:

I thought maybe signing up for one of the fluorescent night dives might be a strategy? Any other tips? I've done a few dives where I've really pushed myself and was glad to have done them, whether they were more strenuous & deeper dives, choppier waters or difficult entry/exits - but night diving is still my nemesis...

I'd say just try it again, *with* an instructor this time. You may not have been ready to "solo". Paying extra to get instructor to go would likely be well worth it and that presence would likely calm you, and once calm you may learn to appreciate the beauty in night diving.

I don't know what a "flourescent" night dive is, but when I did my first ones out at the Flower Gardens, the boat strung out some marker lights to guide us, and strobe lights at and along the down line. So disorientaton and narrowing of focus, was less likely.

Non-led night dives sound pretty terrifying. I did one with a group and just brought my "nothing to be worried about" mind from flying into it, great experience. Unless I knew the area extremely well in the daytime it would have been damned scary. Always better to have people around that obviously haven't died from this previously. Plus, octopuses galore.

Here's what gave me a considerable boost in confidence: a pre-dawn dive. It was dark when we went in but I knew it wasn't going to last all that long. Because of that, I settled right down and enjoyed the dark part, as well as the wonder of being there to notice everything gradually becoming visible in natural light. I was way more comfortable with actual night diving after that.

And yes, it helps a lot to be with someone who is experienced and comfortable with it as you get your bearings. I wouldn't dream of doing night dives without "adult supervision" (or at least, companionship) for at least the first few times.

I'd recommend better lights, better guidance and perhaps a smaller dive site.

There's nothing that says you need to night dive but if you'd like to try it again realize that the comfortable recreational experience of night diving should be very different from what you choose the first try.

Regards,
Cameron

I'd recommend better lights, better guidance and perhaps a smaller dive site.

Smaller site might help a lot.

My first Night dive was at Vortex Springs in Florida. So it was a lot less stressful. Small known area, as i knew the features from multiple day dives and could nav off them. Depending on viz and cloud cover, could almost see just by moonlight and other divers lights in my group. Also, knew I was only going to encounter fish and eels. No fear of some of the more "terrifying" inhabitants of the ocean.

One thing to think about: are you "afraid" of the dark? Maybe there is some tension there?

I am afraid of heights so my first few wall dives were very stressful.

My roommate from university grew up in the city and never had been in complete darkness (city street lights). He froze the first time he drove a car out of the city at night.

Maybe you just need to start out slower and not really "go" anywhere. You can have a great night dive within 10 feet of the dock in Bonaire.

My first night dive was in Cozumel. I was a little apprehensive about it, but wanted to do it. We actually splashed about 10 minutes before dark, so that helped. Well, I thoroghly enjoyed it. It was one of the most relaxing experiences I have ever had. It was, if course, a DM guided dive, but I have since done night dives with friends at some of our local quarries.

Are you comfortable doing low viz dives during the daytime? And by that I mean 5 feet or less. If so, you should be able to eventually enjoy night dives. Hopefully, the fear and panic you experienced on that night dive is something you can overcome.

My first night dive I was near terrified. It was part of the AOW course, so my group had an instructor with us. As it turned out, there were other divers in the area who were not part of our group. There were lights everywhere, and I struggled to keep track of who was in my group. I couldn't wait for it to end. For a long time after that, I did not like night dives. I did them, but I spent so much energy worrying about staying with the group and not getting lost that I never took my eyes off other divers to actually look at the marine life. It took me quite a few night dives to become comfortable with the concept.

I think you should just give it another try. If it's a shore dive at a resort like Captain Don's, dive near the dock, stay shallow and you may be able to still see the lights from shore, and just take it slow. If your first night dive was all of 8 minutes, maybe your next will be 15. So what.

I, too, would recommend splashing before complete darkness settles in, giving you a chance to get comfortable in the water while some light is available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom