strange rings in video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danny.l

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

First of all I would like to introduce myselve.
I'm living in Belgium and I'm diving sinds 1997.
In underwater Photography I'm pretty unexperienced.
I bought a DC1000 and I hope to make a lot of good pictures and video's.

My first tryout was during an ice-dive a few weeks ago.
I was wandered when I looked the result.
A lof of strange rings were seperating the dark levels.
I don't know how to post the video, because I'm new here.
Does anyone have the same problems, and a solution?

BTW, sorry for my bad English.

I suspect shooing into a light source...?

You can load the video for free at Vimeo, Video Sharing For You then post it here like this. I am going to disable codes for a moment to show how I do this.

For a video at Url address http://vimeo.com/6605384 I use the number inserted within these codes, like this...

[vimeo]6605384[/vimeo]

To yield this, whcih I will also center...

[vimeo]6605384[/vimeo]​

Ok, let's try

[vimeo]9022434[/vimeo]​

This is the video I made.
Does sombody knows where the rings are comming from?

Okay, I see you got it loaded. I have no idea really. You might send an email with the url and explanation to Sealife tech support...?

The gradient bands are compression artifacts. Does it look like this straight out of the camera or are you processing it in some kind of software prior to uploading to Vimeo? You usually see these artifacts when a video is highly compressed, or shot/converted to a lower color depth.

Thanks Gomb. I have done some harsh compressing but never seen those. Had no idea.

Definitely compression. What I love about Vimeo, though, is that they don't RE-compress your stuff unless they have to. So if you upload a good source file, they will pretty much publish it as-is. I would edit, export and upload in the highest-resolution that the camera and editing system allow.

What I didn't know, though, is about the [vimeo] tag for embedding...

[vimeo]8023223[/vimeo]​

That is an awesome feature. Thanks DandyDon!!

Definitely compression. What I love about Vimeo, though, is that they don't RE-compress your stuff unless they have to. So if you upload a good source file, they will pretty much publish it as-is. I would edit, export and upload in the highest-resolution that the camera and editing system allow.

What I didn't know, though, is about the [vimeo] tag for embedding...

That is an awesome feature. Thanks DandyDon!!
Cool vid, altho those guys act like divers have been feeding them. Everyone who does that should see the youtube of the guy losing his thumb that way. :arrow: Ever seen that one?

Yeah Vimeo and Youtube vids can be embedded here on SB. So much friendlier than links, huh? For youtube, you can use a link like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHNpYxCSnUM

To obtain the code after the = sign

Put inside [yt]fHNpYxCSnUM[/yt]

To get this, and I am using that eel feeding vid... :shocked2:

The gradient bands are compression artifacts. Does it look like this straight out of the camera or are you processing it in some kind of software prior to uploading to Vimeo? You usually see these artifacts when a video is highly compressed, or shot/converted to a lower color depth.

The video you can see is exactly as I got out of the camera.
The setting for video where 640 x 480 and quality: fine.
I guess these are the best settings.

The video you can see is exactly as I got out of the camera.
The setting for video where 640 x 480 and quality: fine.
I guess these are the best settings.

Danny, thanks for the additional info. I'm not familiar with the DC1000, but it looks like a newer model camera, and IMO modern cams shouldn't be exhibiting this kind of artifacting with normal settings.

It does look like the camera is capturing fine detail correctly, it's just the smooth gradients from light to dark which are causing very blocky and noticeable banding:

6nlly.png

Are there any settings above Fine or 640x480? Is the video shot at 15fps, and if so is there an option for 30fps (or 25fps PAL)? Can you set the ISO or shutter speed during video capture? Just trying to think of settings you can tweak that may have an effect on the final output.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom