Strange Diving Style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt that translation was a problem here, though, because the instructors clearly spoke Japanese.

I guess since many other people have seen this, it is just a typical style for Discover Scuba or even for some certified. I'll have to ask Dan about it in a couple of weeks, if I remember to.

Not kicking isn't only for the Japanese population. We took a non-Japanese couple down, he was certified and she was a DSD. We went from the rainbow mooring over to the turtle cleaning station (about 1.5 - 2 minutes to get over there) she was doing great, he was already out of air. I gave him my octo, held on to his bc, and he to mine, and headed back to the boat - he stopped kicking all together. :rolleyes:

Not kicking isn't only for the Japanese population. We took a non-Japanese couple down, he was certified and she was a DSD. We went from the rainbow mooring over to the turtle cleaning station (about 1.5 - 2 minutes to get over there) she was doing great, he was already out of air. I gave him my octo, held on to his bc, and he to mine, and headed back to the boat - he stopped kicking all together. :rolleyes:

Sure, but did he fin? (wink)

I think that is just strange.

Just strange. It's even reasonably common among "certified" Japanese divers. There were very few dives I wasn't holding hands with one or two divers by the end of the dive in the couple of months I worked for them, had to do that maybe 5 times in years of working elsewhere.

I can tell you first hand that in general (there are always the happy exceptions) Japanese divers expect instructors/guides to baby them and completely take care of them. Its not just the diving but the culture in general (not necessarily bad, just different.)

I can tell you first hand that in general (there are always the happy exceptions) Japanese divers expect instructors/guides to baby them and completely take care of them. Its not just the diving but the culture in general (not necessarily bad, just different.)

:shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom