Strange Diving Style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, it's about like tandem parasailing I guess.

I mean, Americans do similiar things if you think about it.

It does bug me when people watch the whole environmental film at H bay and then walk all over the reef. They should have somebody on the beach enforcing that, but it's too late I think. H bay has nothing but rubble all the way out to the first shelf.

I am sitting next to an excellent diver right now, who happens to be Japanese. I asked her about this because I'm here to help, and her answer is:

"I think that this is probably due to the use of the word kicking to describe what would more appropriately be called finning. Kicking, as it would be translated in Japanese would be more along the lines of karate kicking or soccer kicking."

I would hope the Japanese instructor I was working with would know the difference, we also showed them how to use their fins in the course of the intro briefing.

Just strange. It's even reasonably common among "certified" Japanese divers. There were very few dives I wasn't holding hands with one or two divers by the end of the dive in the couple of months I worked for them, had to do that maybe 5 times in years of working elsewhere.

I would hope the Japanese instructor I was working with would know the difference, we also showed them how to use their fins in the course of the intro briefing.

Just strange. It's even reasonably common among "certified" Japanese divers. There were very few dives I wasn't holding hands with one or two divers by the end of the dive in the couple of months I worked for them, had to do that maybe 5 times in years of working elsewhere.

Well, I'd have to admit that does throw a wrench into the translation of the word kicking explaination. Curiously enough though, I ened up holding hands with this Japanese girl at the end of some of the dives too! She always kicked pretty good though.:wink:

Gosh here's a horrifying explaination I just came up with myself...

The Japanese are of course, very well known for being polite almost to an excess. Perhaps they were really happy where they were, but didn't want to be irude and complain about being dragged somewhere else! Just think of it, right now on some Japanese dive board someone is posting about the American that ruined their dive by taking them by the tank valve and dragging them away.:D

Sounds like your typical Japanese scuba diving guided tour. Not to long ago I saw a Japanese DM dragging a young Japanese lady around the Corsair by her first stage.....scary
:shocked:

Gosh here's a horrifying explaination I just came up with myself...

The Japanese are of course, very well known for being polite almost to an excess. Perhaps they were really happy where they were, but didn't want to be irude and complain about being dragged somewhere else! Just think of it, right now on some Japanese dive board someone is posting about the American that ruined their dive by taking them by the tank valve and dragging them away.:D

:clapping: great post.... now where is that thanks button!

Alot has changed since the 1940's, ey?
As the history of Japan extends back to 12,000 BC and most ignorant Americans don't even know much of the just over 200 year history of the United States, implying that the Japanese people were not polite in the 40's is consistently ignorant. Over the eons, their rulers and warriors may have had signifigant differences with other countries and most of the people were patriotic in their support, but with regard to polite society the childish West has mostly been the barbarians in comparison.

Does the average muslim family in the middle east think all Americans hate them, or do they recognize that our possibly missguided leaders are the reason our imperial forces wreck havoc in their part of the world? Just because we are strong does not change the fact that in many ways, compared to much of the rest of the world, we are just young and dumb.

Hey,
I just speak of documented actions.

Is it not true the Japanese (as a country as a whole) did horrible things to the Chinese?

Is it not true that the majority of Japanese prisoners of war were astonished at how well the americans treated them, better than they were treated by their own commanders?

polite does not necessarily equal quiet.

and the response was to generalization that typically japanese are polite.

not hate...just reminders of actions that did not necessarily jive with polite.

so it is true, to conclude that times have changed.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Interesting thoughts, but now it's time to get back on track to the OP's question.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom