Strange Diving Style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I learned alot about bizzare diving in the last 2-days...but this one I have never seen before...why would one want to do this, how is it safe? Interesting.

I don't get it.

Becky, so you don't really know if they submerged at all, or not?

Why didn't they just snorkel, then?

When I did a few intros before getting certified, there were strict rules we had to follow and things we had to learn before we could even try it. And we had to have medical clearances, etc. We even had to take a small (easy) quiz.

hmmm, interesting. Maggi

We observed this as we were getting in the water for our own dive and we decided to go the opposite way as everyone else to have a nice peaceful dive, so by the time we got out (85 mintues later) they were out of the water.

I see this event quite often here in Asia. For some if any effort is needed then they don't want to do it. Others may believe that they are paying for a tour...why should they have to work? It's a status thing with the culture for some, for others doing physical effort in just about anything can be considered low class....just like having a sun tan means a person works outside and is therefore low class.

I do not conduct my discover dives in this manner but....I don't think they are breaking any written rules within the training standards of most certifying organizations.

hoity toity.

There is an ego boost for ya. Pulling around a group of well fit younglings. Seems like they all have emporer syndrome or something.

I just don't understand why the Japanese won't kick. I worked for the local Japanese company doing intros off the beach and we had to basically drag them the whole way. One particularly memorable time I and a Japanese speaking instructor took 6 out (3 per instructor), with me in the lead. This spot had roughly a 75-100 yard surface kick, I had to pull all of them and the float tube both ways even though we told them to kick and made the kick signal repeatedly. I was sort of gassed by the time it was over... and they wanted to do it again. At that point I told the Japanese speaking instructor to tell them they had to kick "because Steve is really fat and gets tired". That got a good laugh, but it worked, they all kicked on the next dive.

With the Japanese groups, you can basically count on 30-50 percent of your intros not kicking, even if you brief it. I don't know what that's all about.

I am sitting next to an excellent diver right now, who happens to be Japanese. I asked her about this because I'm here to help, and her answer is:

"I think that this is probably due to the use of the word kicking to describe what would more appropriately be called finning. Kicking, as it would be translated in Japanese would be more along the lines of karate kicking or soccer kicking."

I think that this is probably due to the use of the word kicking to describe what would more appropriately be called finning.
I tell all my DSD's, OW students and even certified divers on guided tours, kicking is what you do to a soccer ball, finning is what we do with fins. IMHO, the proliferation of split fins is due the masses thinking we kick with fins. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom