Strange Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LVX

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
A friend asked me what I thought were some of the strangest dive sites out there that are truly "off the beaten path."

What do you think? Here are a few I thought of...

• Yonaguni Underwater Pyramids
• Lava Tube in Hawaii
• Nemo 33, World Deepest Diving Pool

What do you think?

Layne

Let's try closer to local...

how about Vahalla? What could be stranger than diving an old nuclear missile silo? And the Panhandle of Texas is about as "far off the beaten (dive) path" as possible.:)

Strange is in the eye of the beholder. My wife, who only dives in tropical, warm areas, thinks that it it is strange that I dive in some of the lakes in Texas where the vis is only 3-5 feet and the max depth is 30 feet.

Guadalupe Island Mexico- Great whites watching humans in cages; also great spot for world record tuna caught via spear gun.

Indonesia – muck diving with the incredible creatures

Baja Mexico- night diving with Humboldt Squid

(Second for) Antarctica- for the Lion Seal

Bahamas, Jim Abernethy's crew- for diving with large female tiger sharks

Bahamas, Dan’s Cave or Wrigley Field- wow it just keeps going

Mexico, the pit- seven levels of cave diving fun

Caymens, Ghost Mountain- Pinnacle dive

Obviously everyone has missed the best one that only a select group knows about...

The Paris Tunnels... Just like Santa Claus I make no representations as to whether they exist or not ...

And besides, Frank is one Kewl dude....

Does Mini-sub count? Off the coast of New England/Nova Scotia, Canada in search of the 6 gill shark

Scuba diving then I would say the Redbird Subway Cars off Rhode Island, New Jersey...

Pacific Northwest for monstrous cold water creatures like giant octopus and anemones

Couple of caves come to mind:

Cannonball Cave in Missouri has an average depth of about 45' all the way back to 900' inbound - then the floor drops out into a huge funnel that drops all the way down to 285' in depth. You can't see the walls from the middle over the funnel. Pucker factor is high - kinda like stepping over the edge of the Grand Canyon.

Aerolito Cave on Cozumel is the only known place in the world where you can see cave adapted sea urchins. They look kinda like standard sea urchins that are having some issues with hair loss - or in this case - spine loss. Entry is gained from the edge of a croc pond - yikes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom