Strain-reliefs vs the Wireless transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd_scuba

Reaction score
I have a couple questions for the techies on the board. I recently purchased a Aeris 750GT. I went to install in on my first stage and found that the wireless tranmitter and the strain-reliefs on the hoses interfere. I can pull the strain-relief on the BCD hose down 2-3 centimeters and it installs fine. There is about a millimeter clearance between the metal hose crimp and the wireless transmitter housing. e.g. There is no way to pull the strain-relief back to the top. I have also tried installing it on the other side, but it simple doesn't fit with the reg hoses.

If I could move the wireless transmitter off the 1st stage by a mere centimeter, it would install just fine on either side. I've seen a quick disconnect from Aeris and I suspect that may work, but I've never heard of anyone using one with a wireless transmitter.

I could also reconfigure the LP hoses with 90s or something, but I'm not sure that is the right course either.

So here are my questions:

1. What are the consequences/risks on diving without a properly installed strain-relief on the BCD hose?
2. Would the Aeris quick disconnect work for me?
3. Is anyone using a quick disconnect on their wireless transmitter?
4. Are there other options that I'm missing? Other than returning it is for different computer. :)

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Something I haven't tried yet with my Vytec transmitter is attaching it to a 6" HP hose. I don't have any mounting problems with the transmitter, but the set of double tanks I borrow from a buddy uses a Genesis manifold, and the transmitter sticks out from the regulator at such an angle that it is the first thing to make contact with any overhead obstruction (as I found out a couple of weekends ago inside the Ruby E). My reason for wanting to try this is twofold - one, to prevent damage to the transmitter by being able to tuck it out of the road (I'm going to bungee or ziptie the short HP hose to my long LP hose in a entanglement hazard free manner :wink:), and two, having a rigid object sticking out of the HP port of the regulator seems a good way to break the HP seal and cause a world of problems in the event of a good bump to the transmitter underwater.

I don't see any problems doing this, as SPGs don't seem to be affected by different length hoses, so why should the transmitter. I would be wary of using the quick disconnect for the above stated reasons of having a rigid object screwed into a HP port - it's just asking to be used like a little lever to break the HP seal.

jd_scuba once bubbled...
I have a couple questions for the techies on the board. I recently purchased a Aeris 750GT. I went to install in on my first stage and found that the wireless tranmitter and the strain-reliefs on the hoses interfere. I can pull the strain-relief on the BCD hose down 2-3 centimeters and it installs fine. There is about a millimeter clearance between the metal hose crimp and the wireless transmitter housing. e.g. There is no way to pull the strain-relief back to the top. I have also tried installing it on the other side, but it simple doesn't fit with the reg hoses.

If I could move the wireless transmitter off the 1st stage by a mere centimeter, it would install just fine on either side. I've seen a quick disconnect from Aeris and I suspect that may work, but I've never heard of anyone using one with a wireless transmitter.

I could also reconfigure the LP hoses with 90s or something, but I'm not sure that is the right course either.

So here are my questions:

1. What are the consequences/risks on diving without a properly installed strain-relief on the BCD hose?
2. Would the Aeris quick disconnect work for me?
3. Is anyone using a quick disconnect on their wireless transmitter?
4. Are there other options that I'm missing? Other than returning it is for different computer. :)

Thanks in advance.

Jim

1. None
2. IMO, no. You're just asking to have it broken.
3. don't know
4. How about trimming the end of the strain relief where it interferes with the transmitter? The only place the relief does anything is where the metal fitting meets the hose. It doesn't need to be mashed up next to the first stage body.

Phil

I use a 7/16 x 7/16 adapter that is about 3/4 inch long on my transmitter. You should be able to get it at your LDS. It works great for me.

Great ideas and feedback. The quick disconnect is no longer an option, but you have given me a couple of new options that I had not thought of. I'll try them out and post back to the group.

Thanks again,

-Jim

OkieDiver once bubbled...
I use a 7/16 x 7/16 adapter that is about 3/4 inch long on my transmitter. You should be able to get it at your LDS. It works great for me.

I tried this solution first and it works great. Thanks OkieDiver for the idea.

Jim

bengiddins once bubbled...
Something I haven't tried yet with my Vytec transmitter is attaching it to a 6" HP hose.
Tried this last night - doesn't work. The transmitter thread/o-ring design is designed to fit into a regulator port, rather than the end of a HP hose. It kinda works, but I'm not happy with the integrity of the o-ring seal (the o-ring is visible!) and would not take it underwater. Same threads, but the female end of a HP hose is not designed for an o-ring around the male thread to provide the seal.

I might try it again with the 7/16"-7/16" adapter, but it looks like my transmitter just won't ever be happy while mounted to a reg on a Genesis manifold.

Back
Top Bottom