Storing/packing your dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CycleCat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What does everyone store and pack their palm-sized dive lights in? My wife's light came with a foam clam-shell zipper case that also holds the charger but the other two lights I bought did not have a case or pouch of any kind. I'd like to keep them from getting dinged up in my dive bag or wherever they are being carried. These are average sized cylindrical 1000-lumen lights.

DGX sells small padded mesh drawstring pouches. I’ve used those in the past for smaller lights than I have now.

I thought about rolling them up in old socks but figured there had to be something better.

Here you go.

I just throw them in my dry bag with all the other bits and bobs. Honestly, I do the same with my computer. All those boxes and padding take up so much space. Once its all nestled into my luggage, nothing moves around much, at all. Now that I think of it, even my masks get thrown in all willy nilly, at most with the benefit of a sock.

Does that make me a bad diver?

Put them in my booties. I do use the koozie that @drl is referencing for my computers. I also carry my smallest light, which I use for night dives, in my carry on with a AA battery in it. It's slightly longer than my index finger.

Erik

I have 2 DGX 600 flashlights (they have an aluminum body and take an 18650 battery, similar to many other brands). I guess if they were more fragile, I would treat them like a reg or a computer, but they can take a fair amount of abuse.

When I fly, I stick them in one of these regulator bags, along with 2 sets of regs and my computer. I really have to cram all that stuff in there, so I am not worried about it shifting around. I then place the whole reg bag into my carry-on backpack, along with stuff I will need at the airport (chargers, 1 layer of clothes, water bottle, sunscreen, passport, etc). I pack 2 masks and stick one in each of the fin pockets. The fins, backplate, wetsuit, booties, etc go into a checked mesh duffle bag, along with most of my regular clothes. This keeps the most fragile stuff on my person, and the relatively sturdy stuff gets some padding to protect it.

When I shore dive, I put my computer, regs, and drysuit in the back seat of my truck. I strap the tanks down tightly in the bed. Everything else gets thrown in a giant heap in the bed, and I don't really worry about it. That stuff's hardy, and unless I crash, it will be fine. If I do crash, I don't really care if my fins or flashlights get run over or fall off a cliff or whatever -- at that point, I've got bigger problems :)

For travel I use a bottle or can koozie, depending on the size of the light. And it keeps my drinks cold once I get there!
Ooh! Double duty! I like that!

Most dive lights are pretty sturdy. If they're going somewhere I may stuff them in a bootie or sock, or even fin pocket. When I had a bigger light, my hoodie worked. I tend to avoid traveling with any cases they come with as they take up too much space for the little they accomplish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom