Storing/packing your dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does that make me a bad diver?
Thats not what makes you a bad diver.....:troll:

Plastic dive lights need protection, they get brittle from UV, salt, chlorine etc and the first you'll know of hairline cracks is a fizz and darkness in the middle of your dive. If you have lithium batteries, you may be treated to a significantly more impressive fizzle.

Aluminium bodies are way more robust and those you can get way with packing loose in your kit for years and years.

With air travel I loosen the head so they can’t turn on and than stick them wherever they fit. Home diving I just put them in a gear bag pocket.

I have 2 DGX 600 flashlights (they have an aluminum body and take an 18650 battery, similar to many other brands). I guess if they were more fragile, I would treat them like a reg or a computer, but they can take a fair amount of abuse.
When I pack my DGX600s for a trip, I just shove them in whatever crevices in my luggage are unoccupied by gear and clothing, etc. They have aluminum bodies, and the glass seems well protected. They get banged up against rocks and such on dives and keep on going. I can't imagine moving around slightly inside luggage during handling is going to harm them.

Now, my expensive canister lights I treat with somewhat more care during travel. I put the light head inside a sock or bubble wrap before tossing it in my bag.

Where do you store the batteries?
In the light with some tape over the battery ends?

Where do you store the batteries?
In the light with some tape over the battery ends?
For air travel you need to carry on your rechargeable batteries separate from the lights. There is some uncertainty about this when returning from Coz. Ziplock bags work, or cases that are specific for the size battery you have. I put my lights in either my overhead or checked bag.
Car travel, whatever works. My lights go into my tub with batteries in them. Have never had a problem with them turning on.

Erik

For air travel you need to carry on your rechargeable batteries separate from the lights. There is some uncertainty about this when returning from Coz. Ziplock bags work, or cases that are specific for the size battery you have. I put my lights in either my overhead or checked bag.
Just to clarify, when you refer to "your rechargeable batteries" that means spare or "loose" batteries, right? I have never had a problem traveling anywhere, including Mexico, with lights containing batteries, rechargeable or otherwise. Some lights have batteries that can't be removed.

In the US, the TSA distinguishes between LI batteries of 100 watt-hours or less, which would include handheld scuba lights, guidelines here. Batteries over 100 watt-hours, like some canister lights, have different guidelines.

TLDR: small batteries may be carried on, or checked with some restrictions. Big batteries may only be carried on, with restrictions.

I have always carried on my small flashlights with the batteries inside, never had a problem. I don't own a big can light, but the rules seem pretty clear.

With air travel I loosen the head so they can’t turn on and than stick them wherever they fit. Home diving I just put them in a gear bag pocket.
I remove batteries during travel. Don't know if that's a good thing or not, but I figure nothing will accidentally turn on or get overheated.

Back
Top Bottom