Storing/packing your dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to clarify, when you refer to "your rechargeable batteries" that means spare or "loose" batteries, right? I have never had a problem traveling anywhere, including Mexico, with lights containing batteries, rechargeable or otherwise. Some lights have batteries that can't be removed.
@Brett Hatch beat me to the reply. So….what he said.
As far as the Coz comment, it’s been noted in the Coz forum that some folks have had LI batteries taken from them when in carry ons, being told that they should be in checked bags. Don’t know full details.

I remove batteries during travel. Don't know if that's a good thing or not, but I figure nothing will accidentally turn on or get overheated.
My understanding is that in checked baggage, loose lithium batteries are not allowed. My lights get checked with the batteries installed and I put a small piece of plastic secured by some tape over the on/off button so the lights can't get accidentally turned on.

I no longer travel with a canister light (yippee!) but when I did it had a travel setting that prevented any possibility of it turning on. For a HID light head (those are pretty fragile, I used a cozy and some more plastic to protect the bulb. When I switched to a smaller LED light head I just stuck it in a bootie.

There is the issue of traveling with spare batteries. I have to carry a sizable spare battery pack for my primary light, and I found a small plastic container that it fits in easily and carry it on. I haven't had a problem yet, and most of my flights are to Cancun from the US.

You guys are so organized. All my sensitive equipment gets stuffed into socks and piled into my personal item with regulators and edibles.

I remove batteries from lights and put them in some plastic cases I have. Tape or cardboard inside the light may prevent it from turning on. But I figure on xray it’s still going to look like a light full of batteries that could accidentally turn on, and cause someone to want to dig through my bag.

I remove batteries from lights and put them in some plastic cases I have. Tape or cardboard inside the light may prevent it from turning on. But I figure on xray it’s still going to look like a light full of batteries that could accidentally turn on, and cause someone to want to dig through my bag.
I understand what you mean, you'd think the luggage screeners would get worried about an image of lights filled with batteries, but my understanding is that in checked bags, they want all batteries to be installed in their devices. But maybe you're carrying your lights onboard. I used to occasionally do that with my HID can light, but never anymore. All my dive gear except the computer is packed in my checked bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom