Stores not filling tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the tank passes a hydro, visual and eddy current testing is it not safe? My understanding is that the Australlian Govt did a study showing that the new alloy actually corodes quicker! Would the older ones not be safer?

Bubble Boy once bubbled...
If the tank passes a hydro, visual and eddy current testing is it not safe? My understanding is that the Australlian Govt did a study showing that the new alloy actually corodes quicker! Would the older ones not be safer?

Some blow up. Not many but I don't want the one that does to take out me and my store. A tank is only hydro test every five years. In the mean time all kinds of people are doing vip. We fill them but we don't like it. The corrosion rate isn't the problem the problem is SLC.

Just read this board to find out who is doing VIP's. There are people with no training. And then there are all the divers who are taking the training to do their own. Not that they aren't able to do it but there isn't any tracability now. When I look at a vip sticker I want to see a name and I like it better if I know that name. A number would be better.

You really need to see some of the tanks we get in. I think they were made about the same time as the arc. AL doesn't last like steel. I would be in favor of putting them all out of service after a couple of hydro's. And don't think I say that because I have a shop because I have to buy more tanks than you guys and the markup on tanks stinks. An AL 80 costs me about $120 with shipping which is only $30 or so less than what we sell them for. Oh but then we vip and fill them so we make a good solid $10. Big deal.

From the PSI workbook, the following special permits are to be condemned:

SP6688 (Norris), SP6576 (Kaiser), SP6020 (Kaiser) and SP890 (Canadian Aluminum). This is nothing new; these permits ran out awhile ago.

E7042, which is Walter Kiddee’s 6351 alloy, is just fine.

(Article: http://www.psicylinders.com/library/IllegalCylinders.htm)

To answer some other comments: You’re right, it’s not going to cost $50 to ship a cylinder, it’s going to cost about $20, maybe less if UPS will accept a bare cylinder with an address printed on it. This makes a decent deal ($50 off) a mediocre deal and that’s what Luxfer is counting on. With several million 6351s in circulation, it’d hurt them big time if they offered a good deal.

I believe the “new alloy corroding quicker” is PST’s 9791 Special Permit/Exemption (steel); at least I know that’s the case for the steel alloy used in the 9791 cylinders, but have never heard it about the 6061 AL alloy.

Mike, PSI’s VCI stickers REQUIRE the inspector’s number to be written on the sticker. Refuse them if they don’t have a number.

Roak

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I would be in favor of putting them [6351 alloy cylinders] all out of service after a couple of hydro's.
Sounds like it's time for the poweful self-regulating SCUBA industry to talk to the DOT. Or for the agencies to take a stance themselves, so at least there's some consistency.

But don't count on PADI, it might hurt their bottom line.

Roak

I wouldn't expect consistancy and I don't think PADI would care one way or the other.

Since the DOT says 6531 is OK I don't know why Luxfer is offering anything at all.

I am not sure but I think the new NFPA is now restricting fire dept uses of 6351 cylinders.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Since the DOT says 6531 is OK I don't know why Luxfer is offering anything at all.
To look good in court. It's cheap insurance, which is why the offer is marginal.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom