Stores not filling tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble Boy

Reaction score
One of the LDS in my area just sent out a bulletin to their customers stating: "In compliance with changing industry standards we will no longer fill tanks stamped SP922, SP6498, E6498, SP890 or any tank manufactured by Walter Kidde".

If a tank passes a visual inspection and eddy current testing why would you not fill it? Are they just trying to sell more tanks or is this a bonefide statement? I am interested in feedback on this.

Bubble Boy once bubbled...
One of the LDS in my area just sent out a bulletin to their customers stating: "In compliance with changing industry standards we will no longer fill tanks stamped SP922, SP6498, E6498, SP890 or any tank manufactured by Walter Kidde".

If a tank passes a visual inspection and eddy current testing why would you not fill it? Are they just trying to sell more tanks or is this a bonefide statement? I am interested in feedback on this.

I haven't heard of any changing industry standard. My geuss is though that the concern is SLC. There are many who would like to see all those old tanks go away. I don't trust the visual sticker on a tank. It's a nice idea but anyone can buy or print stickers and slap them on a tank. The risk is low but the consequences are high. I sure would hate to be the unlucky one in a million who gets blown up. Some have blown up and more will.

I love it when someone who has only been diving a short time comes in with one of these old tanks. They buy them from freinds and pay too much. they get them from yard sales. For crying out loud a new al 80 can be had for about $150 with valve, boot visual and full of gas. My gut feeling is that anyone who can't afford it can't afford to dive. If you are the original owner, you got your moneys worth, don't be so cheap, get a new tank.

I guess I'll keep filling them but maybe I'll have the owner stand between me and the tank.

Anyone have their PSI workbook handy? Those special permits may be percluded from filling by law (and have been for some time), but I don't know about the exemption number.

Busy time of year but I'll try and look them up.

Roak

I have bulitens on either the sp6498 or the e6498 stating that there were counterfits and how to spot them. That's all I've seen. I don't think I have even come accross the other two numbers.

I thought the counterfits were tester numbers, not permit numbers?

Roak

Someone counterfitted the Luxfer arrow on some tanks marked SP6498. There are some permit numbers that Luxfer says shouldn't be filled unless retested (hydro) and stamped 3AL. My wife is checking on which ones those are. I'll post it when I find out. I know DOT makes the rules but when we have a question about a tank we either call Luxfer or PSI and take their word for it.

According to Luxfer all E6498 should be stamped 3AL prior to being filled. BTW, I am also told that starting Jan. 1st luxfer will pay $50 for any Luxfer tank made from 6531-T6 regardless of VIP status.

Which is exactly what Luxfer is counting on. This way they APPEAR to want to get the 6351s out of circulation without really having to shell out much cash.

Roak

roakey once bubbled...
Which is exactly what Luxfer is counting on. This way they APPEAR to want to get the 6351s out of circulation without really having to shell out much cash.

Roak

It won't cost $50 to send it.
Like I said you guys are welcome to stand next to my fill station while we fill these old tanks with vip stickers from unknown courses for all these cheap people.

I do want all those tanks out of circulation. No you won't get rich sending in your tank but it costs less to get a new tank. And...your still willing to take chances with someone elses life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom