stopover in jakarta worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive~Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm gonna be 2 weeks in manado/bali, and have the option to arrive in jakarta and stay there for a few nights. is it worth it check out the city?

Not really.. It's a huge noisy city and not really beautiful. All day long you're stuck in traffic jam and there is not much stuff worth called sight-seeing spots.
There is a couple of huge shopping malls where you can spend heaps of time and money, if that's your thing..

I lived there for one and a half years what made it somewhat different as I knew people etc., but for a stopover of a few days I really wouldn't recommend it.

If you could do that stopover in KL or SIN, for sure you'd have a much better time.

cool thanks; I'm looking into KL. do you know which is the best area of the city to stay in? its been difficult google searching on basic info like that...all I come up with is spam asian websites

Depends what you're looking for of course, but I stay at Welcome to Number Eight - clean & cheap and just round the corner from Jalan ALor an awesone hawker street & bars and clubs, as well as not far from the centre of town if you want to go to Petronas Towers, aquarium etc

Jakarta is ok or a day or 2.
Yes there is traffic but its also a great city. i lived there for 1 year.
At the north the harbour area is interesting and there are a few great rest/cafes to eat at. The old Dutch cafe in the north is great.(forget the name but its amazing for a sunday brunch)
There are some great bars/clubs/shopping in the south.
Other than that there is not many tourist sites.
Out of Jkta there is an ok safari park and a great place the the old president built(again cannot remember the name.

Jkta is a lot cheaper than SIngapore.

i lived there for 4 yrs. it is a massive hell-hole metropolis, but that's what actually makes it interesting.

it also depends on what you expect and what you really want to do; its a logical stopover if you're going to Sulawesi,etc.

If you're keen for adventure, its a cool place to explore for only a coupla days...let me know.

At the north the harbour area is interesting ...

I like the Sunda Kelapa area also...

_45440830_p1010386.jpg

Back
Top Bottom