Stop steering new divers in North America towards DIN regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bt7csr makes many excellent points. I love my DIN regs and tanks. Been loving them for the past 20 years. I take a adaptor when I travel but even then, I usually ask the visiting diveshop if they have any DIN tanks and the answer is usually yes. Thus my statement above regarding "look".

who steered you towards DIN ??? We teach and show DIN in classes but never steer any student towards DIN, DIN is mainly only used by tech divers!!!!!

Bit of a chicken and egg problem.

Dive ops don't care about carrying DIN/convertible tanks unless a significant portion of their clients have DIN regs.

Divers don't care about owning DIN regs unless DIN tanks are readily available, even though it's the better system.

Gotta start somewhere!

I too went DIN mainly because of what I read online. Fortunately I bought yoke regs and had them converted to DIN. That meant that when I realized DIN wasn't the way to go for much of my diving, all I had to do was reinstall the yoke parts.

If you've got the parts, it's pretty easy to swap a regulator over. Now that I've done it a few times, I'd say less than 5 minutes a reg.

Has there been any example of a Newb that was "steered" toward DIN that now regrets it?

I have read most of the recent threads on (or near) this topic, and I don't think I remember any persuasive "DONT BUY YOKE" rants. I personally think there are some really good arguments FOR buying DIN, but would not try to twist any arms.

Sounds like a complaint in search of a problem to me.

Back
Top Bottom