Stop fogging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing conventional works. I have tried the detergents, Johnson's Baby shampoo, toothpaste, Nofogs, they are all ineffective on a new mask, one shot deals at best. Freediving, I swam back to my boat four times to wash my mask with baby shampoo. The treatment was good for 1/2 hour. Do the slow burn as mentioned above or try this: Scrub the lens with Starbrite liquid rubbing compound and follow up with detergent or alcohol. Rinse and spit in the mask and rinse again. As mentioned, breath into the mask. If the mask does not fog it should be good for life although a spit rinse should be done at the beginning of the diving day. I know that each of the posters is adamant that their method works but virtually all do not work on the newer masks of certain brands. There is a substance on the lens which must be removed and does not respond to any conventional treatment nor to several innovative approaches that I have tried such as powerful solvents. I don't know why the rubbing compound is effective. In any case, the burning is quicker and easier but whether it will work on all masks I don't know. Ran out of masks to test.

Masks need a good cleaning when new and also after every dive. Use any and all of the methods mentioned above!

When getting ready to dive put in the defog of your choice about a half hour before the dive and smear it all over the inside of the lens then LET IT AIR-DRY! Just before you dive rinse it out a bit then put it on your face and enjoy your dive.

I'm a nose breather and I'll always be one no matter what but MY MASK DOES NOT FOG.

Ok I give some of them a try. Yesterdays dive I missed a lot just because I got plan tired of clearing. So knowing my next dive is next week I decided that tonight was cleaning night.

I started with the lighter. Seamed to work in just spots. However I was afraid of burning the liner holding the lenses in. So I went over to a soft scrub. That seam to find a way of pulling the layer of crap off the lens from around the area I had just burnt with the lighter. I worked it and worked it and everything seam to come off. I cleaned it with a little fish cleaner to get iny bleach off. Then tooth paste for good measure. I then poured cooled water over the outside and then gave a quick blow to each lens. It worked they seam to only fog right around the edges but that will not bother me.

Now 6 days till there real test. Although I guess I could fill the bath tub and go for a dive! :dork2:

Thanks for the Help

As pescador775 mentioned, the key is to test your cleaning work before you take that mask diving. there is no point in fumbling through multiple dives trying to get this right. More here.

I will be the 4th. Be brave it works great

Directional flame.. like a small butane torch lighter. It'll take seconds and you can watch it burn away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom