Stingray Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been looking for details on it since I saw it on the news.

He doesnt look too worse for wear though.

Wonder if he antagonised it?
Gotta say I have been real close to many rays and never had a problem

It happened on Bunaken off Manado as well but this many years back and I don't know if it ever made the news. That guy took it in the heart as well. Died on the spot.

The story goes he was narced and trying to interact. That has kind of a urban legend feel to it though.

Santa:
It happened on Bunaken off Manado as well but this many years back and I don't know if it ever made the news. That guy took it in the heart as well. Died on the spot.

Hmmm... very interesting. A friend was speculating that since sharks and rays can sense electrical fields, perhaps the rays can actually target the heart region based on the fields it emits. Strictly anecdotal, but this does make me wonder.

Don't crowd the wildlife. We're guests in their world, be a gracious one. I've seen a lot of rays, never seen one excited, but the only way to get stung is to get too close.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom