Stingray Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packhorse:
Sounds like he didnt even see it untill it stung him.
I wounder if he got any crays.
Probably after scallops. Marlborough Sounds is scallop heaven as it's very silty and has a mud bottom. He would have been cruising close to the bottom, looking for scallops, and swam over the ray.without even knowing.

I understand some people have been offended by my choice or title. Sorry I did not intend to disrespect anyone. The term was actuly used by the diver himself when repoting his incident and was the way it was reported here on NZ TV.
I have been asked by a mod to chose a new title and I am sure it will be changed soon.

Basied on this, "The term was actuly used by the diver himself when repoting his incident and was the way it was reported here on NZ TV," the title seems appropriate. The "give the wildlife room" would also apply in the famous cased, too.

Sorry - here goes a novel.

In life we're all subject to death, loss and injury. This is beyond our control and humour is just one way of shaking off the dread.

It seems to me whenever something of this sort happens we first bow our heads in horror and respect ... and then after a while the "inappropriate jokes" start arrive - seep in really. At first told among people who know each other well, with guilty glee, later publicly as the incident starts to fade in time.

Timing, then seems to be of the essence.

"death smiles to us all - all a man can do is smile back" says Russel Crowe in gladiator.

Van Helsing - in the original Dracula - when all seems black and innocent loved ones have been slain suddenly bursts out laughing all the good men present are horrified that he should be laughing at such a grave moment. He responds that when king laughter knocks on the door there is nothing a man can do and goes on to explain that he was not laughing at the victim or the pain of the relatives - but in horror at Man's sad fate and essential helplessness.

Gallows humour. Look thee to Shakespeare or the Icelandic sagas.

Paramedics and people who clean up subway suicides develop raw physical humour. Are they callous - or struggling to face a callous reality?

For all intents and purposes the modified verb struck me as funny in a grotesque and possibly rude way. I can see why some would feel offended. Personally I don't.

With my own grieves I hope to be able arrive at the "Van Helsing state" and laugh it up through clenched teeth, accepting the horror of mortality that underscores the frantic beauty of every breath we take.

And that has nothing to do with lack of sympathy for the suffering (note that the frase was coined by the victim of a harrowing experience).

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee".

There, enough with the semiremembered literary references. I'm off to Sharm El Sheik to make the best of it. Pray I don't get ... stung.

last time I went to Sharm el it was with a bunch of Danes...go figure

Santa:
Paramedics and people who clean up subway suicides develop raw physical humour. Are they callous - or struggling to face a callous reality?

Santa,
I can't speak for everyone, but I think the grave humor we use in EMS is a coping mechanism. Without it, I probably would not have lasted the last 14 years.

ParamedicDiver1:
Santa,
I can't speak for everyone, but I think the grave humor we use in EMS is a coping mechanism. Without it, I probably would not have lasted the last 14 years.

I must agree with ParamedicDiver1. I've been in EMS for 12 years and counting. I'd never last that long without the sick and twisted humor, as it's definitely a coping mechanism. I should also say that most EMS and fire personnel begin to look at certain things (including death) in a different light after a while.... also a coping mechanism.

Santa:
Sorry - here goes a novel.

In life we're all subject to death, loss and injury. This is beyond our control and humour is just one way of shaking off the dread.

It seems to me whenever something of this sort happens we first bow our heads in horror and respect ... and then after a while the "inappropriate jokes" start arrive - seep in really. At first told among people who know each other well, with guilty glee, later publicly as the incident starts to fade in time.

Timing, then seems to be of the essence.

"death smiles to us all - all a man can do is smile back" says Russel Crowe in gladiator.

Van Helsing - in the original Dracula - when all seems black and innocent loved ones have been slain suddenly bursts out laughing all the good men present are horrified that he should be laughing at such a grave moment. He responds that when king laughter knocks on the door there is nothing a man can do and goes on to explain that he was not laughing at the victim or the pain of the relatives - but in horror at Man's sad fate and essential helplessness.

Gallows humour. Look thee to Shakespeare or the Icelandic sagas.

For all intents and purposes the modified verb struck me as funny in a grotesque and possibly rude way. I can see why some would feel offended. Personally I don't.

With my own grieves I hope to be able arrive at the "Van Helsing state" and laugh it up through clenched teeth, accepting the horror of mortality that underscores the frantic beauty of every breath we take.

And that has nothing to do with lack of sympathy for the suffering (note that the frase was coined by the victim of a harrowing experience).

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee".

There, enough with the semiremembered literary references. I'm off to Sharm El Sheik to make the best of it. Pray I don't get ... stung.
If you're going to give us a treatise on gallows humor, you should at least slip a joke in there somewhere.

Kevlar, we need kevlar plates in the chest and, eh, lower areas for protection. Quick...capitalize on the market while everyone is still talking about it!

Dive armor!

Mike

they already make chain mail. that would probably work. i wonder how much weight you could take off your belt?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom