Question Still worth it for someone with janky equalization?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have horribly janky ears. I had numerous ear surgeries as a child and thought I would never be able to dive. Fortunately I was wrong. It takes me a long time to descend. I communicate the issue with my dive master and other divers on the boat prior to starting dive. Once your DM becomes familiar with you and your diving skills, perhaps you and your buddy can start descending after backrolling off boat and giving okay signal. It seems that the first couple of dives typically present longer equalization times. There can be a lot of anxiety and pressure watching your group descend faster while the distance grows between you and the other divers. For that reason, I would hire your own DM for the first day for some additional peace of mind.

I take the 12 hour Sudafed in the morning. I reduce my coffee intake by half, since the Sudafed seems to make me feel 'caffeinated'. Start routinely equalizing your ears at least a week before your dive vacation. This helps the eustation tubes burp out excess fluid and I feel it makes the tympanic membrane more pliable. I have heard other divers swear by using Afrin (not to be used for more than 3 days) and Mucinex. I have not tried those meds.

I spent the major part of my adult life flying airplanes in the Air Force for 20 years, and then commercially for another 14 years. I can tell you that the more you equalize your ears, the easier it will become over time. If you know you are going to be diving in the next month or two, start equalizing every day, as many times as you think about it. Obviously, don't do this when you have a head cold, or you could be blowing snot into your Eustachian Tubes, and may get an ear infection. Our ears are not generally used to rapid changes in pressure, so you have to train your ears to be able to keep up with the pressure changes involved in diving. Don't give up, it will come with practice unless you have a medical issues with your ears, in which case a visit to an ERT would be appropriate.

A good dive operation is the key. Let them know ahead of the dives and they can set you up with the proper guide and group. Aldora does great. Our guide dropped a buoy with line on a hot drop I held bottom of line while we drifted and my Wife and kids came down the line at a comfort pace for her ears. all on a mild drift dive
And there is nothing wrong with the 20-35ft dives Bottle time counts.

A good dive operation is the key. Let them know ahead of the dives and they can set you up with the proper guide and group. Aldora does great. Our guide dropped a buoy with line on a hot drop I held bottom of line while we drifted and my Wife and kids came down the line at a comfort pace for her ears. all on a mild drift dive
And there is nothing wrong with the 20-35ft dives Bottle time counts.
Thanks! To be clear, the reason I mention 10m is that past that equalization (obviously) gets much easier. So I tend to be fine past that. I have no problem getting down to 20m.

Ok I have/had similar issues. I use an Eustachi Eustachian Tube exerciser (Target, walmart,... Eustachi Eustachian Tube Exerciser - Unclog Your Ears Naturally - Walmart.com). I start about a week or more before trip, few times a day, before the flight, the morning of diving.... It openes up the Eustachian Tubes.

Also I have Proplugs BEST DIVING EARPLUGS | DOC'S PROPLUGS. They are the VENTED SCUBA (little hole in them). ONLY use the VENTED ones. Wash daily in freshwater after to keep vent working.

For me I also equalize very early (as soon as my head is below water). I keep positive pressure going down (clearing) throught my decent 5 -30 ft only pausing my positive pressue to breath. I find keeping Eustachian Tube open like this during decent, I can drop like a rock.

YMMV

Also I have Proplugs BEST DIVING EARPLUGS | DOC'S PROPLUGS. They are the VENTED SCUBA (little hole in them). ONLY use the VENTED ones. Wash daily in freshwater after to keep vent working.

I'll second this recommendation. I used Doc's Proplugs for the first time on my trip a few weeks ago and came back with my ears in the best shape they've ever been after diving. They really helped me a lot.

I've never understood how vented earplugs help with equalization. I mean, it lets water in. I get the other advantages (maybe a little warmer, no debris enters, etc.), but equalization? Can someone explain further the mechanism at play?

The idea is vented ear plugs It lets water in slowly thus the pressure change on eardrum is more gradual thus helping you equalize. Never dive with unvented ear plugs since the pressure builds up can shoot the earplug into your ear drum.

They don"t look like regular ear plugs, they fit around the ear canal and that provides a water seal like a mask. The vent allows water to enter the canal slowly.

I have heard many successful stories about the vented earplugs. I have not tried them because I worry if one shifted, or slipped there would be a sudden change in pressure thus undoing any slow equalization process. Perhaps I am just overthinking(which I have been known to do).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom