Question Still worth it for someone with janky equalization?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not tried them because I worry if one shifted, or slipped there would be a sudden change in pressure thus undoing any slow equalization process.

Nothing to worry about there, I don't think. I actually lost one at some point during a dive and didn't even notice until I surfaced and noticed I could hear 'too well' on that side. It's not like there's a huge pressure differential between the inner and outer section of the earplug. After all, there's a hole in it! I would think it's more of a modulator as to the speed of pressure change against your eardrum, but the change is still going to happen pretty quickly regardless. I don't know the exact mechanism of action but NDL_Diver's explanation sounds reasonable. However they work, they do work, for me at least.

Nothing to worry about there, I don't think. I actually lost one at some point during a dive and didn't even notice until I surfaced and noticed I could hear 'too well' on that side. It's not like there's a huge pressure differential between the inner and outer section of the earplug. After all, there's a hole in it! I would think it's more of a modulator as to the speed of pressure change against your eardrum, but the change is still going to happen pretty quickly regardless. I don't know the exact mechanism of action but NDL_Diver's explanation sounds reasonable. However they work, they do work, for me at least.
I have also heard of a system that uses a watertight seal to your ear canals with a tube from each ear to your mask so that your ears stay dry while using air from your mask to supply equalization pressure to the outer side of your eardrums. I have no idea how well it works.

I'll throw in my 2 cents here: I've never had any real trouble equalizing while diving, sometimes it was slower and trickier than ideal, but never any real trouble. My Problem was "normalizing" after the trip. It could have been days or even weeks of ears popping, buzzing, "bubbling", feeling pressured up or under pressure, etc. They just couldn't get back to their happy place. I finally went to an ear and nose Dr., and I got lucky, as she happened to be a diver also. She went through her routine, starting a couple of weeks before the trip: Flonase twice a day, once during the day and again at bedtime. Then only before bed while diving. Pre-dive: a good snort of Afrin an hour or so before splashing. She also recommended ascending very slowly, slower than you feel like you need to for your ears, and you obviously are descending very slowly. I don't remember if she said anything about any Sudafed or other pills by now, it's been years, but I have little to no trouble getting back to normal after a trip with just the spray regimen. It also helped tremendously while diving, I barely even think about equalizing anymore, seldom have to pinch my nose, usually just flexing my jaw and sort of tensing up the back of my mouth/top of the throat, if that makes any sense to anyone. Hope something here helps you.

Never had a problem equalizing myself but my wife has from time to time. During a routine physical the Dr. said she had some fluid in her ears (he said I did too when I asked on my next visit). I guess this is kind of normal. He said with diving that fluid behind the ear drum can cause probs equalizing for some people. He said the cure was to start using OTC Flonase or it's generic equivalent every day, all the time... Not just when diving. Wife has had no problems since. Yes, we do travel with the pseudoephedrine and she pops one 30mg every morning just for the heck of it.

... Flonase twice a day, once during the day and again at bedtime. Then only before bed while diving. Pre-dive: a good snort of Afrin an hour or so before splashing. ...
Be careful with Afrin. It reduces swelling but can cause rebound (cause swelling whdn not taking) if taken more than three days. I use sparingly, only the 1st and or second day.

Most of the consistently janky equalization is due to mild allergies going under the radar. I second that streoid nasal sprays are worth to try. Additionally advice to practice equalizing made by @NDL_Diver is very sound, In some other thread I shared it, DAN advice is to practice with a tool called otovent. Last resort, sudafed but last resort really.

Last resort, sudafed but last resort really.
That's what I take twice a day every day of a trip as well as every other day for the last 10-20 years, but it's not legal to possess in Mexico. The OP asked we not discuss smuggling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom