Still talking about sea sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ncwes

Registered
Reaction score
I asked this question a while back and am still trying to find a solution. I get sea sick pretty much everytime I go off shore. When I was younger it never bothered me, but as I get older its become a problem. I've tried all the seasick pills and even bought one of those electronic sea band things and tried it. I went out of Hatteras late last summer and had that thing turned wide open. The seas were about as good as it gets. My hand was numb and the muscles were contracting and I was over the side tossing my cookies. I was so frustrated! On a different dive a buddy of mine gave me a prescription patch you wear behind your ear and seemed to help but made me feel terrible. Light headed, extreme dry mouth, and jittery. I did some reef diving just before Christmas with Splashdown divers in Boynton Beach Florida. It was only a 20 minute boat ride and I fared pretty well. I absolutely loved the reef diving but I don't want to have to give up diving NC Wrecks. Does anyone have any home remedies or something that works well for them that I might can try.

ncwes, I also have a problem with getting seasick. I have tried almost ever product on the shelf and really no help. I really don't give advise especially medical, but I will tell you what I do that has worked for me so far...

I went to my doctor and got the prescription for the transdurmoscope (I think I spelled that correctly????) patch. I clean the area behind my ear with an alcohol patch and place the patch in that area. I put the patch on right before I go to bed the night before I dive. The next morning I limit my food intake. I have found that if I don't eat something, I will get sick. I usually eat a couple pieces of toast with a light amount of cream cheese. I drink a little coffee because if I don't I get headaches half way threw the trip. Ouch!!!! Just before I get on the boat, I take about two or three ant-acid tablets. You may be able to get some of the longer lasting ones from the store. I drink a lot of water!!!!!!! During my surface interval, I drink water and eat a small amount of petzels.

That is what I do, and it seems to help. It may not work for you, but you are welcome to try it. If you have any further questions, please give me a PM.

Thanks. I wonder if they have different strenghts of the patch. Maybe the one I borrowed from my buddy was just too strong. I'm glad you mentioned the antacid. It does seem it is always acidy when I get sick. I'll definitely try that. If that don't work, at least those minty tums will taste good coming back up.

Dunno if you've tried this or not, but there is a product out there (forget the name, but they do carry it in drug stores)

Its a set of wrist bands, but unlike what you mentioned, not electronic, but rather places pressure on pressure points.

Everyone I've suggested it to has told me it works like a charm, with no side effects - they use it for pregnancy morning sickness too.

Believe it or not, try Ginger Snaps, there is something about the ginger that settles the stomach or something like that.

I usually do pretty well, but of late even with Bonine I was having trouble, the ginger snaps seemed to help. :dazzler1:

I have posted several times about this, I am in the same boat as you. (next to you, leaning over the side, screaming at the fish).
It's a real handicap, for sure. I experimented with drugs, which help, but if I am out for a long enough time in rough enough water, I inevitably puke. I have had streams of people aboard boats and elsewhere telling me that I should stay on deck, watch the horizon, wear wrist bands, eat ginger, etc. (I even had one guy try to restrain me from going below to lie on my bunk). None of that stuff works for the hardcore pukers like me. Experimenting with home remedies works for lots of people. I hope that's the case for you.
I have learned to live with it. I still take Dramamine or the Patch, but recognize their limitations.
Make an appointment with your doctor about this and talk to him/her about scopolamine and dosages. (that's the active ingredient in the patch). That is the best thing you can do. You may be able to find a solution, or just a partial one.
Good luck. :)

the only real cure for seasickness is to hold onto a tree.

unfortunately when you give this particular piece of advice to people presently suffering from the malady, the generally dont appreciate it.

Here's a link to the drug company's website for transderm scop. I used to use it too, but like you, I found the side effects to be pretty unpleasant - always gave me a headache and a metallic taste in my mouth.

http://www.transdermscop.com/site2

The best thing I've found for seasickness is to limit my food/fluid intake just before getting on the boat. I agressively hydrate myself an hour or two before leaving the dock and try to have a pretty empty stomach while on deck. That and a little ginger (I prefer mine in cookies or candy, rather than supplement tablets. You never know what those supplement companies are putting in their products.) seems to do the trick better than the dramamine/bonine tablets or the scopalamine patch. As for the pressure band and the electroshock device, I can't offer an informed opinion.

For what it's worth, I used to be the world's worst seasick diver. By following the above approach, I haven't been sick in over a year. (And yes, I've done boat dives during that year! :wink: )

Good luck,
Grier

I just got a prescription from my Dr for the pill version of the patch. Its called Scopace (sp?). You can get 1/2 dose pills and take up to 2 every 8 hours, so you can use a lower or regular dosage as needed. I haven't tried them yet, but it might help ncwes's side effects to take the lower dose. I've also heard people say they cut the patch in half.

Good luck, ncwes. I'm right there with you when it come to chumming the fish.

Mona

ncwes:
I asked this question a while back and am still trying to find a solution. I get sea sick pretty much everytime I go off shore. When I was younger it never bothered me, but as I get older its become a problem. I've tried all the seasick pills and even bought one of those electronic sea band things and tried it. I went out of Hatteras late last summer and had that thing turned wide open. The seas were about as good as it gets. My hand was numb and the muscles were contracting and I was over the side tossing my cookies. I was so frustrated! On a different dive a buddy of mine gave me a prescription patch you wear behind your ear and seemed to help but made me feel terrible. Light headed, extreme dry mouth, and jittery. I did some reef diving just before Christmas with Splashdown divers in Boynton Beach Florida. It was only a 20 minute boat ride and I fared pretty well. I absolutely loved the reef diving but I don't want to have to give up diving NC Wrecks. Does anyone have any home remedies or something that works well for them that I might can try.

Well, you will definitely have to go wreck diving with the NC group this summer. This seasickness thing is my biggest worry. This will be my first time diving wrecks and diving off of NC, and that part doesn't even phase me. I've heard all about the long and rough boat rides, that is what's freakin me out. I get awful motionsickness and I'm pretty much telling myself to suck it up and deal with it this summer. <Okay guys, remind me that I said this while I'm feedin the fishees on the April trip. :wink:> I'm going to see my doctor in advance of the April trip and find out about the patch. I've heard/tried a lot of the home remedies and nothing works for me. While on the Scubaboard Key Largo trip this past November, I think I took about 4-5 Bonine in one day and still felt like crap. Scubakev from Splashdown was on the boat so he can tell you how sick I was. So no worries ncwes, if you're on the boat with me you won't be the only one getting sick.

Mel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom