Still talking about sea sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ncwes:
I did some reef diving just before Christmas with Splashdown divers in Boynton Beach Florida. It was only a 20 minute boat ride and I fared pretty well. I absolutely loved the reef diving but I don't want to have to give up diving NC Wrecks.

Maybe it was the crew!

suthnbelle:
Well, you will definitely have to go wreck diving with the NC group this summer. This seasickness thing is my biggest worry. This will be my first time diving wrecks and diving off of NC, and that part doesn't even phase me. I've heard all about the long and rough boat rides, that is what's freakin me out. I get awful motionsickness and I'm pretty much telling myself to suck it up and deal with it this summer. <Okay guys, remind me that I said this while I'm feedin the fishees on the April trip. :wink:> I'm going to see my doctor in advance of the April trip and find out about the patch. I've heard/tried a lot of the home remedies and nothing works for me. While on the Scubaboard Key Largo trip this past November, I think I took about 4-5 Bonine in one day and still felt like crap. Scubakev from Splashdown was on the boat so he can tell you how sick I was. So no worries ncwes, if you're on the boat with me you won't be the only one getting sick.

Mel

Yes, it's true... I was there. Solid streams of vomit from each nostril and a puke column gushing from her mouth. I fully expected her head to spin around and for it to suddenly get real cold.

There are two types of seasickness:
Type 1... "Oh my God, I'm gonna die"
and, Type 2... "Oh my God, I'm not gonna die"

Eating some chips or a snack works for me... but that's because I don't get sea-sick.:wink:

Yeah Kevin....I like to offer out those peanutbutter and sardine sandwiches :wink:

Crackers and 7-up.
When I was in the Navy, anytime we went out to sea they would always put a case of saltine crackers out on the mess decks.
Another tip is not to go sit inside the cabin, stay on deck where you can see the horizon.

Jason

Scubakevdm:
There are two types of seasickness:
Type 1... "Oh my God, I'm gonna die"
and, Type 2... "Oh my God, I'm not gonna die"

The day in Key Largo was Type 1!

I've got quite a bit of experience with motion sickness -- while my wife and
daughter who love the sea, I get seasick on a damp lawn. Here's what
I've learned in all these years (in no particular order):

1) Life is easier on a full stomach but the meal should be carbos and *NOT* fat.
I've heard that studies say protein is best (but only if you can do it without
fat).

2) I've *not* gotten a lot of help from looking at the horizon. On the other
hand, close focus and using fine motor skills will make you wish you were dead.

3) Limit sensory input. Smells are bad, bad smells are evil, aside
from the obvious (biologicals), engine smell (e.g., diesel) is abyssmal. I've
found that closing my eyes helps. I really prefer it if noone trys to talk to
me (especially to tell me what works for them). Don't even play music.

4) Relax -- pay attention to the stress in your shoulders and actively relax
them.

5) Sea bands have never helped me.

6) Cool air in the face helps a _bunch_. Drinking cold water is really helpful.
Warmth is death.

7) Medicines work differently for different people. Scopolomine works best
(by a long shot) for me. A distance second is Bonine/antivert. Dramamine
just makes me sleepy. Ginger is worthless to me.

8) Nothing works better than sleep to eliminate existing motion sickness.

9) Surprisingly, where I am in relation to the boat is of little value.

10) Vibration aggrivates motion sickness as does facing away from the direction
of motion.

11) Laying down (with the head supported) helps a lot.

12) Some people get sea legs in a couple hours, for some it takes days, and for
others relief never comes. My father-in-law worked on submarines in the Navy
and he knew people who stood watch every night of an entire tour of duty with a
bucket between their legs.

13) When all else fails, Compazine suppositories work wonders. I was in 15 ft.
seas (in the Drake passage) on Scopolomine, prescription antivert, ginger,
wearing sea bands, laying down, letting (very) cold air hit me in the face, and
throwing-up. One suppository let me get to sleep and deal with it.

I'm a sicker and have tried everything- the patch, all the over the counters, hypnotherapy, homepathic, ginger, no food, food, etc ad nauseum.
I have had some success, but not uniform. One product which worked fantastic was a tablet from Japan- I was in big seas and had nothign from that. (I think it had something amazing in it) Unfortuantley I don;t get to Tokyo often enough.

BUT_ luckily I was put onto somethign the UK navy uses- called STURGERON, not licensed for the US, but it is great. No drowsiness or dry mouth or 'drunkenness". I used this in 4-6 swells when the engine cut on the boat- we were bobbing around and there was diesel stink everywhere- nothing. My buddy was wide-eyed at my lack of puking.

anyway- I have a pretty unlimited supply of these babies, so if I can make it ot the Aprila trip, I will bring em along for a trial. I think the active ingredient is called Cinnarizine for al those pharmacists out there :)

munkispank:
BUT_ luckily I was put onto somethign the UK navy uses- called STURGERON, not licensed for the US, but it is great. No drowsiness or dry mouth or 'drunkenness". I used this in 4-6 swells when the engine cut on the boat- we were bobbing around and there was diesel stink everywhere- nothing. My buddy was wide-eyed at my lack of puking.

anyway- I have a pretty unlimited supply of these babies, so if I can make it ot the Aprila trip, I will bring em along for a trial. I think the active ingredient is called Cinnarizine for al those pharmacists out there :)

If you can't make the April trip, then I'm driving up to Burlington to get a couple of those babies. :D They sound like magic. I have a relative from England and she goes back every year for visits. I might get her to look into these for me. I think GrierPharm in the NC group is a pharmacist, we can ask him about the seasickness pills that you have.

Mel

I hesitate to respond on this one, I mentioned what works for me on a similar post awhile back and got hammered - was told I had no business giving medical advice....anyway, for what it's worth - I have always been totally incapacitated by sea-sickness everytime I'd go offshore. Last year we made a trip down to West Palm (remember the wind and seas down there last spring?). I was bound and determined to go - a friend suggested I try his remedy - otc meds called TRIPTONE - said to take two the night before, then two the next morning - also suggested I drink lime poweraid from the time I woke up and throughout the day- I also wore the pressure type wrist bands - I was FINE! Not even a twinge of nausea. I used to not be able to read in a car without getting queasy- I use just the wristbands and I can read all I want.... I guess you have to find a combination that works for you ...good luck.

suthnbelle:
If you can't make the April trip, then I'm driving up to Burlington to get a couple of those babies. :D They sound like magic. I have a relative from England and she goes back every year for visits. I might get her to look into these for me. I think GrierPharm in the NC group is a pharmacist, we can ask him about the seasickness pills that you have.

Mel

Hey Mel, I'm hoping to jump into the April trip if somone drops out (I can't commit until nearer the time as I have a conference th efolloeing week) So I will definately bring some along. Failing that, I can always mail you a box- honestly for me, they have been fantastic. Maybe won't work for everyone but who knows. I have had my family at home mail them over to me, and whenever friends come to visit, this is how they now pay me!!
I had mentioned these to Grier and he wanted to know what was in them. i will probably find they are seroius contraband!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom