Stiff Hogarthian Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetrocksrock

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello!

I just got my first BP/W setup, but after threading the harness, I have noticed that the webbing is extremely stiff and that it is nearly impossible to get the waist buckle to open and close. With the way it is right now, I would never be able to get the buckle open if I were wearing the rig, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how to work the webbing to get rid of some of the stiffness. I know that after some time and after several dives it will loosen up on its own, but like I said, I can't even use it right now because there is no way I could get that buckle open!

Thanks!

Hello!

I just got my first BP/W setup, but after threading the harness, I have noticed that the webbing is extremely stiff and that it is nearly impossible to get the waist buckle to open and close. With the way it is right now, I would never be able to get the buckle open if I were wearing the rig, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how to work the webbing to get rid of some of the stiffness. I know that after some time and after several dives it will loosen up on its own, but like I said, I can't even use it right now because there is no way I could get that buckle open!

Thanks!
It will get a little softer with time, but if you leave a "tail" on the harness you can use that to aide in opening the buckle, yank on the tail, instead of trying to pry open the buckle.

Tobin

Hello!

Thanks!
Make? I had similar problem, and it was poor tolerance in the buckle manufacture not the webbing stiffness. Apex replaced it instantly free of charge after which all was well. Great service I have to say.

Make? I had similar problem, and it was poor tolerance in the buckle manufacture not the webbing stiffness. Apex replaced it instantly free of charge after which all was well. Great service I have to say.
It is a complete rig from Tobin (cool_hardware52) at DSS, so a DSS buckle on a hogarthian harness. Like I said, I know that it will loosen up eventually, but it would be nice to not have to fight against it if I didn't have to lol :eyebrow:

I did leave some webbing to give me something to yank, but it is still ridiculously tight! I will keep working with it since I won't be diving until next Saturday.

you should see how hard it is to open a buckle with 7mm 3-finger mitts on.... Tobin's explanation (as expected) is "spot on".

Remember, everyone appreciates a "little tail"...

It is a complete rig from Tobin (cool_hardware52) at DSS, so a DSS buckle on a hogarthian harness. Like I said, I know that it will loosen up eventually, but it would be nice to not have to fight against it if I didn't have to lol :eyebrow:

I did leave some webbing to give me something to yank, but it is still ridiculously tight! I will keep working with it since I won't be diving until next Saturday.

Double check you have the buckle laced as per the instructions. Two layer of webbing in the "pinch" point would make the buckle near impossible to operate.

Tobin

Double check you have the buckle laced as per the instructions. Two layer of webbing in the "pinch" point would make the buckle near impossible to operate.

Tobin
I just triple checked the lacing and it is correct. There is only one "pinch" point, but it is still nearly impossible to open and close when wearing the rig.... I left a long tail and I have found that the only way to get the buckle open is to hold the tail against something solid while pulling my entire body backwards. There's no way I can get that thing open with one hand :(

Post a photo? this doesn't seem right.

I had the exact same problem when I got my DSS rig - I thought it was because the buckle was super stiff due to the "teeth" on the locking edge of the buckle. I bought different steel buckles from DGX which have the flat locking edge thinking that would be easier (it's not - they're the same amount of effort).

...if you leave a "tail" on the harness you can use that to aide in opening the buckle, yank on the tail, instead of trying to pry open the buckle.
Do this. I have the DGX buckle on my rig and the DSS supplied one on my weight belt and it works really well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom