Sticker removal from Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarita75

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all. Curious if anyone knows a good technical for removing old stickers on tanks. The former rentals that I recently bought have the dive shop stickers all over them and slightly worn off. I don't mind worn paint, but would rather not have the sticker "remains" on them.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of them in a manner that will not result in suspicion? They were just hydro'd and VI'ed the other week. Thanks!

Razor blade - A Single blade "scraper" they sell them at any hardware store. Vertically on the tank...

Why would it result in suspicion?

The people who did the VIP didn't remove ALL of the old stickers?? That doesn't sound like a thorough VIP.

take your hairdryer adn heat each sticker for about 10-30 seconds, then start to slowely peel while keeping the dryer on it. and no, it wont alter the metal and cause you to blow up.

Razor blade followed by some "Goo Gone" to dissolve any remaining glue.
Ber :lilbunny:

howarde:
The people who did the VIP didn't remove ALL of the old stickers?? That doesn't sound like a thorough VIP.

You are correct, but it's extremely common.

I was a bit surprised that they were on there when it came back from the VI, but I figured that - since they are DS stickers, they were "forgiven" essentially. I am going to give the goo-gone and razor a try. I don't mind the paint being all messed up (looks "experienced"), but the stickers are a bit annoying, esp since the DS has since closed.

Any thoughts on whether I should drain the air out before doing this?

No need to drain them. Use the razor to gently lift the sticker, don't gouge down into the metal. When we take our stickers off we can usually get them started with the razor then pull long strips off if the whole sticker doesn't come off as one piece.
Ber :lilbunny:

Butter is good to remove reemaining glue. Apply generousely, leave 1h, clean. Voila.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom