Stick With The Winners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there a question in your post, or are you just voicing an opinion? Are you in the market for a reg? If so, and reliability is your primary concern, get the SP MK2/R190. Forget the warranty, very doubtful you'll need it, and you can buy one at Leisurepro or scubatoys for around $150. It's had basically the same design for 20 years, I believe, and there are only a few parts that are subject to any sort of wear.

If you're just voicing an opinion I'm not really sure what exactly you're getting at, but I'll be happy to agree with you!

NetDoc:
Yeah...

what have you done for me lately? If a manufacturer can NOT keep producing improvements then there is no reason to reward them for their lack of innovation. After all, quite a few of these manufacturers were started by employees who were stymied by management. Atomic was created by two AL engineers who were not allowed to make a Titanium regulator. (If I have the companies mixed up, please let me know).

They came from Scubapro but your message was clear as a bell.

Don Janni:
Okay, A serious answer then.

Padrediver puts forth the notion that one can judge a manufacturer's product by looking at the longivity of the company. He calls them the "survivors" and names 5 of them.

So if someone holds that premise to be the criteria by which quality should can be judged then that individual could only be true to themselves and their principles if they drive a Ford.

So my reply had nothing to do with comparing one car to another or 1 reg to another but rather it was a test of whether or not he truly believed in the principle by which he judged manufacturers in general.

I could have asked if his electric range was a manufactured by Hotpoint - Hotpoint was the first company to build one and that was in 1910. Interestingly, GE gets better ratings just a Atomic, the upstart reg manufactuer makes the top rated reg.

Ok; Fair enough, given this explanation, my response was off topic. I didn't answer Padrediver's question, but asked a question of my own.
Had I questioned his question directly, I would have said:

What makes you think that a product made by the most senior company,would be superior to a reverse enginered product, made by another company? Recalls,for the most part, are due to "vendor supplied" parts. This year, depending on who's rattings you believe, Atomic seems to be "on top", but how much difference does it really make anyway?

My question remains, but perhaps on a new thread without mention of automobiles.

NetDoc:
Yeah...

what have you done for me lately? If a manufacturer can NOT keep producing improvements then there is no reason to reward them for their lack of innovation. After all, quite a few of these manufacturers were started by employees who were stymied by management. Atomic was created by two AL engineers who were not allowed to make a Titanium regulator. (If I have the companies mixed up, please let me know).

My question in a nice tight nutshell ! what have you done for me latey?

I've been quite pleaded with my old 1991 Sherwood Maximus, but want to know if any tangable improvements have been made, for recreational use?

wilkie:
Ok; Fair enough, given this explanation, my response was off topic. I didn't answer Padrediver's question, but asked a question of my own.
Had I questioned his question directly, I would have said:

What makes you think that a product made by the most senior company,would be superior to a reverse enginered product, made by another company? Recalls,for the most part, are due to "vendor supplied" parts. This year, depending on who's rattings you believe, Atomic seems to be "on top", but how much difference does it really make anyway?

My question remains, but perhaps on a new thread without mention of automobiles.

How much difference does it really make? I can only offer a subjective answer to that. Best breathing reg I ever used and not by just a litttle bit either. Based on how it breaths you would never know if you were at 20' or 120 feet, face up or face down. In a blind test againt the top models by Apeks, AL, Scubapro or Poseidon I might not be able to tell the difference. Then again, I might. Most likely I'll never know. If I were going to buy a new reg tomorrow it would be a T2 just so people would think I had more money than good sense.

Don Janni:
How much difference does it really make? I can only offer a subjective answer to that. Best breathing reg I ever used and not by just a litttle bit either. Based on how it breaths you would never know if you were at 20' or 120 feet, face up or face down. In a blind test againt the top models by Apeks, AL, Scubapro or Poseidon I might not be able to tell the difference. Then again, I might. Most likely I'll never know. If I were going to buy a new reg tomorrow it would be a T2 just so people would think I had more money than good sense.

Ok you have convinced me, you don't even have to show me a picture of your new T2.

My OLD Sherwood, breathes just fine @ 20' or 120', no discearnable difference- I've never felt like I was having to suck the air out of it,face down for sure, just don't recall a face up, 120' dive, though it does tend to breathe a bit on the damp side doing hand-stands @ both depths, and everywhere in between-not that bothers me.

A high performance reg. is not a hinderence (my old reg was classifyed as such, at least in the catalog), but not always an asset.

I'm just curious if there is a good reason to update, if so cool - a nonsubjective responce would be really great! (like I really need a reason to buy new gear) If you don't know, then "I don't know" is the only answer that makes good sense.

wilkie:
I'm just curious if there is a good reason to update, if so cool - a nonsubjective responce would be really great! (like I really need a reason to buy new gear) If you don't know, then "I don't know" is the only answer that makes good sense.

If you want to update then update. The "want to" part is usually a good enough reason, huh!!?!

I have an 18 month old Zeagle Stiletto which is arguably the finest BCD every created and I just ordered a Dive Rite Transpac. Is the TP better? No. Is the TP an upgrade? No. The TP's different and that's about it.

wilkie:
Cool!,What are you going to do with your "old" stiletto?

I'm not sure. I'll use the Dive Rite on an upcoming Liveaboard trip (August) and then I'll probably sell one or the other. Haven't really thought about it too much. If I decide to stay with the Stiletto maybe my wife will try the TP. Yet it'll be hard for her to give up her beloved Oceanic Isla.

Don Janni:
It is a guide... but not the only one and maybe not the best one.

Volvo was born in 1927. Being aquired by Ford, who was born in 1908, doesn't count. What about Rolls Royce born in 1904. BTW: The Ferrari was born in 1929 so it's right up there with your Volvo in terms of quality.

:confused: MY BS-o-meter just sounded it's alarm. Ferrari has absolutely nothing to do with safety. Volvo has absolutely everything to do with safety. Two completely different design philosophies. Many think I drive Volvo for prestige. I drive Volvo because the car actually HAS saved my life! (independent safety cage inside three
layers of metal.(five layers total). The name of the game is survival.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom