The First Hotel - Post 4 Part 1 of 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The First Hotel

August 13th 1963

It was late January 1963, the hurricane season was over, and we had come thorough another year with no serious storms. Bonaire was well below the hurricane belt so the weather was rarely of any great concern. Now, though, it was hot, it was muggy, and it was clammy like a steam bath. It had been raining for the last several days, which in itself was very unusual for this region. We were more accustomed to torrential blasts of rain followed by a blazing shaft of meridian sun that would set puddles along the roadway to boil. But here was a new game, and the rain continued to pour without let-up.

The thought of Somerset Maugham’s novel Rain kept coming to mind as I looked over at our bar which was just on the other side of a planter box divider. I honestly was expecting to see Sadie Thompson astride the green linoleum bar top, but all I saw was Larry intently gazing into his drink while the bartender Ebo methodically polished his glasses.

This ongoing rain, perhaps, had something to do with the global warming everyone was talking about. Maybe it was an Arctic iceberg that was in the process of recycling.

I had accepted the job of managing a once German internment camp that had gone commercial. Originally, it had been named Zee Bad (Sea Bath) by its founder, Mr. L.D. Gerharts, a Dutchman who had great expectations for the island’s first hotel.

The current owner, John Bogart, an expatriate American living in Venezuela, had actually drafted me off the street for the job. He had touched a nerve when he promised food. I explained to him that I had never been in a hotel in my entire life nor had I slept in a real bed in the last eight years. What would I ever know about running a hotel? But I think he sensed that I ran a tight ship, and he settled for that. I had been a Depression kid, a salvage mechanic, and some seventh sense must have convinced him that I was perfect for the job

L. D. Gerharts in 1952 had an exciting idea of building a desperately needed hotel. At that time only a few pension houses were available for visiting guests to the island. Extraordinarily dexterous, this man used every plank of wood that the termites had spared to erect his dream. Any friend who owned a hammer had ripped apart the old internment camp and put together this place they proudly called Zee Bad, a cluster of thirteen cottages and a main building which had been the camp’s hospital.

It was after 1957 that Bogart had bought the place for a song, or so I was told. He, being a Yankee and not speaking Dutch, did not view the name of Zee Bad as commercial enough for his intended North American clientele and renamed the place “Flamingo Beach,” then made it a “Club.”

It had been a one hundred percent Dutch establishment staffed by locals. All the clientele were Dutch, and the hotel had been previously managed by several Dutchmen, a Dutch lady, and finally a young American with his extremely beautiful wife. The American’s term of employment ended when he was beaten up by a bunch of drunken Venezuelans one New Year’s Eve, something about a firecracker, I understand. Had I known the story earlier, you can be sure that I would never have attempted to fill his slot. I think Bogart was desperate, simply admired my ship, or perhaps thought me somehow able to attract tourists just because I had run a charter boat in the past.

The rain was still pounding, and I was extremely grateful there was no wind to make a real storm. Every opening in the entire hotel was closed only with cheesecloth. The only glass in the place was on the bar. A real wind-driven rain could be disastrous. Some of the windows had shutters, but that still left all the doors and toilet vents open to the weather.

Everything, and every place leaked, and I resorted to tricks I had used to keep my old schooner afloat. I caulked the roof as I might have a leaking seam. I used tar, thick paint, and watered down cement in every crack or crevice found on a roof and or a wall, as well as around the windows on the weather side of the cottages. I pounded five gallon lard cans flat and held them in place with large stones on the roof. The floors were raw planks with ample cracks which easily discharged any water that found its way into the cottage, or main building for that matter. The kitchen was the only place with concrete walls. I often thought the kitchen the best place for security in case of a bad hurricane. All in all, however, being a sailor accustomed to the elements, I accepted the rain in my stride.

From the onset, Bogart had emphasized that finding a way to attract the tourists was my responsibility. He had no qualms about the types that I might attract, just as long as they bought rooms and food and drink at the bar. While chatting about tourism with the Governor one day, I had told him that his island was a rock. I asked him to “Please tell me just what it is you are thinking of selling. Surely not jungles, white water river trips, or touring Maya Indian ruins. Huh?” He looked sad, saying that it was the Queen’s wish that Bonaire might be able to stand on her own, so to speak, and make a little money for a change.

My mind raced, looking for a natural attraction. Fishing? Bird watching?

I was making lazy attempts at fishing, but Bonaire was a mountaintop sticking out of a bottomless sea and offered no continental shelf to attract the number of big fish necessary to the sport of game fishing. It was a well known fact that all the best fishing was just off the coast of Venezuela about sixty some miles to our south and of no value to Bonaire since Venezuela took a dim view of outsiders trolling their waters. So that left bird watching.

Research showed that we had one hundred and twenty-seven species of feathered friends, give or take a few during the season. Even the flamingos of which we were supposed to have millions were not reliable. I was thinking myself into deep water. When sailing aboard the Queen, deep water made sense, but when seeking a theme to attract thousands of tourists a year to an island that didn’t have diddly squat to sell, I was going to drown in bad ideas. However, for some insane reason, for whatever ends, I zeroed in on the bird watching. I not only joined the Audubon Society but also became president of the Bonaire Chapter, and the only member. I spent money for advertising. I found books. Birds of the Caribbean, Birds of South America, Peterson’s Field Guide to the Birds, and finally a winner, de Vogels van de Netherland Antillen by Dr. K.H. Voous of Amsterdam, Holland. With this one-of-a-kind library, I set out to become the Bird Watchers’ Capital of the Southern Caribbean. Oh boy. Little did I understand.

We had only one hundred twenty seven species, whereas on Tobago island, the average backyard had that many. One hundred twenty seven was nothing. Just nothing. My job was to make that nothing into something so people were willing to travel thousands of miles to this far-away island to vacation on this arid rock and to live in a camp that still had electricity only sometimes and brackish water for washing and toilets, where our cactus grows in such abundance it makes one wonder why distilling Tequila isn’t a major industry.

My Valerie Queen was on a special mooring that I had contrived just out front of the “Club.” Her majestic appearance lighted up the waterfront. I had fabricated her mooring in a field of rich corals, the likes of which I had never seen. When diving beneath the surface, I left this arid rock behind and swam in a productive world that could only be thought of as Eden. Here, I was at the threshold of Genesis. After a dive while putting my gear away, amid thoughts of quitting this ungainly island, I would gaze out to sea at my Queen and recall the realm of wonders in which she floated.

I wondered about why this island was called a desert when we received twenty-two inches of rain a year. Now, though, it felt like far more, and I thought of planting a jungle just to see what might happen. A story that often passed through my head was of the Texan who said to his friend, “I’ll pour a beer on your grave, but I’ll drink it first.” A thought? Why couldn’t I use the water from the cesspool for my little jungle? A seed was planted. I could see it all so clearly: a pump, hoses that leaked, and goat **** for fertilizer. My god, there was no shortage of goats and the rain still continued to plummet down.

Breakfast finished, a good dive to start the day, and now office worked called. I busied myself with the papers on my desk, all of which were sticking together because of the moisture. I was prying some apart when Mrs. Lowbowski, a visiting birder, stomped up the several wooden steps into the main building and took station in front of my bamboo reception counter.

She was wearing an old, frayed, blue, one-piece bathing suit that fit her like a sack. She stood dripping profusely on my bamboo reception counter, which happened to be the residence of some of our largest roaches. As Mrs. Lowbowski’s rivulets of water found their nest, the roaches sought higher ground, which, of course, was the top of the counter. Having been around awhile, I took no notice.

I looked up from my papers. “Good morning, Mrs. Lowbowski. I trust you slept well last night.” I could feel her brows coming down and sensed her storm flag was flying. From my year in the hobo camp I had learned caution, so nothing ever startled or surprised me. But right now, Mrs. Lobowski’s appearance caused me concern. I quickly stood up, not wishing to be caught in a defenseless position.

I noted her yellowish hair, usually neatly coiled atop of her head, now hanging in haystack fashion. Not a pretty lady, but a good-looking woman. I had found her friendly and extremely knowledgeable about birds.

“It’s raining,” she said matter-of-factly.

“Yes, it is, Mrs. Lowbowski. It is raining,” I confirmed. Her hair hung below her shoulders, yellow until it reached the roots, then black, like the trails of mascara that leaked from her eyes. The shoulder straps on the bathing suit strained like old Mexican hammocks, retaining Mrs. Lobowski’s ample gourds.

I mentally reached out to the poor woman. Then I glanced down at the counter and noted the first of the refugees fleeing the flood. Mrs. Lowbowski’s quick eye also saw the three-inch roach that had just freed itself from a crack as it struggled up for air.
She said calmly, “Blatta Orientalis, a strain of Orthoptera,” and returned her attention to me.

“Cacalaca,” I said. “Papiamentu.” Then watching her overflow continue down onto my desk, I whispered, “Excuse me, Mrs. Lowbowski.” Louder. “Excuse me. You’re dripping water all over my papers.“ I waited. “Mrs. Lowbowski, why don’t we go the bar and ask Ebo to fix us a friendly Bloody Mary or something and you can tell me all about it.”

Her teeth were grinding together like a worn out corn mill. Then, surprise, a smile, and she said, “Okay” and started for the bar. Larry was there, sitting on his usual stool in the far left corner of the bar. The bar, if I hadn’t mentioned it earlier, was built like the bow of a boat with the bowsprit of the Gulden Verader at the head. That put Larry on the starboard side.

Hey there, Larry, “ I greeted. “Found yourself a dry place, huh?”

“Not so dry, Captain Don,” remarked Ebo while looking for the tomato juice. Then he turned toward the rows of bottles that adorned the back wall of the bar and pointed to a bottle of Purple Parfait. Larry liked his booze, and I knew he was working his way through at least seven other bottles to have gotten to the Parfait. Maybe before noon he might get serious and find his way to the cognac.

“Larry... Larry.” Now I had his attention. “Larry, this is Mrs. Lowbowski from Illinois, and she is a bird watcher.”

Larry jerked up straight on his stool as if pulled by a string and sat erect, looking at this woman in front of him. Then he suddenly jumped up. “Delighted,” he said, hidden manners surfacing. “What a delightful surprise to find myself in the company of another observer of our small, feathered friends. How welcome you are, Mrs. Dumbrowski.”

“Low... Larry... Lowbrowski. From Illinois,“ I coached him.

“Shadyville. That’s an hour and a half northwest of
Chicago,” she said with a smattering of pride. Now that was news to me. An hour and a half. And I wondered just how far that might be. Walking, by auto, flying, or even ice-skating if the weather permitted. I looked up at Ebo who smiled his tourist smile and set two Bloody Mary’s on the bar in front of me. I thanked him and pushed them both in front of Larry who had finally regained his stool and offered the stool to his right to Mrs. Lowbowski.

“Mrs. Joebrowsky. May I share a morning delight with you,” and he handed Mrs. Lowbowski a Bloody Mary and brought the other Bloody Mary up to his lips. Ebo’s smile became a grin, and I slipped out of the building, remembering that I had promised myself a second morning dive.

Time slipped by. Mrs. Lowbowski and Larry became fast friends, and I came to discover that she had secret passions other than bird watching. Larry too had an inexhaustible thirst as well as the bankroll to support it and they kept Ebo on his toes between the two of them. However, bird watching was still a very real thing for me. I was running several trips weekly into our interior and learning my birds with the aid of well-meaning watchers. We at the Flamingo were attracting a limited group of tourists, but quite frankly it soon became obvious that birding had been a weak idea and just wasn’t worth the effort.

The ongoing building and maintenance of the camp was enormous. I, never short of new ideas, was improving the place daily, and I actually was becoming a part of it all. The sorry part of it was time. The more time I spent at the Flamingo, the less time I had for my boat. I still did collect a few fish with Percy and tried to maintain the aquarium in town. I came to discover that I was good at giving parties and threw some at the Flamingo on Saturdays after the islanders were paid in order to help meet the Flamingo’s payroll. They weren’t big parties, but demanding.

The tourists were beginning to dribble in, most from the New York area, as that is where I had aimed our small but chatty ads. But it never was a surprise to me when checking in new arrivals that their first words were, “When is the next plane out?” I told them that Madado the airport manager was a friend, and I would see what I could do for them. Then I informed them I could get them deck space on a schooner going to Curacao with a load of goats for five dollars. Or with luck, they could hire a private plane from Curacao for fifty dollars. The best was a fellow I recalled who, annoyed, turned to his son, maybe twelve, handed him a hundred dollar bill and told him to go to town and look around while he sorted out this tragic mess with the Captain. I think it was maybe the third one hundred dollar bill I had ever seen in my life, and anything larger than five-dollar bill in town was a joke.

For entertainment more than anything else, Percy and I started teaching a few tourists to dive. By now, snorkeling trips had become a daily routine, and spear fishing was still very macho, but I came to discover something of interest. Those I spent time with in the water never wanted to leave, never could get enough wet time. Then the penny dropped, and I saw it all so clearly. It wasn’t the rock that I was selling, but what lay around it.

Then, the Tourist Office in their search for visitors came up with the idea of having a World Champion Spear Fishing Event, and the Flamingo Beach was chosen to be the headquarters of this folly.

I had been given several weeks to prepare for this event. The spear fishing was no big deal as all entrants brought their own weapons. Tanks were not needed since free diving was the theme.

I invented as never before, underwater games, which required all sorts of gimmicks, then faced the cruel fact that this type of tourist rarely spent a dollar on accommodations or food. They set up pup tents on the beach. The Hotel public toilets became their baths. They used our brackish water for their showers and then consumed our small supply of rainwater to make their coffee on their camp stoves.

This spear fishing thing wasn’t a good idea. It attracted free divers from all over the Caribbean. They stayed for a week, spent money only on beer, and killed our fish to a near point of extinction. There was no refrigeration other than a single icemaker the government owned but which was mostly down for repairs. Thus, what fish was not eaten immediately was left in piles to rot.

My ship moored just offshore was always a great attraction. There was the story of Ralph who supposedly was buried deep in the Queen’s concrete ballast. According to the story, which probably had no basis in fact, Ralph Enncus, a friend of the ship’s former owner, was murdered on board the boat while visiting the island of Catalina off the coast of California during the summer of 1923. Poor Ralph was thought to have become a permanent part of my ship’s ballast.

The opening day of the tournament was a sad day for me. I had been sleeping ashore. Upon waking, ready to start the fishing tournament, I looked out to sea and saw the Queen sinking. The water had reached her deck level. I panicked and called the fire department for assistance with their pumps. Then, knowing if I could get her keel hard aground I might be able to stop the sinking, I attached our water ski boat to the Queen’s stern and tried to drag her into the shallows. She had a ten-foot draft.

Of course, she was still attached to her mooring. Fate settled that argument and she went down in thirteen feet of water. I salvaged what I could. Cut her mast. Stripped her of all her rigging and left her for the wood eating toredo worms to devour her. In two years there was nothing left of my wonderful ship except her concrete ballast with only a few ribs protruding from the mass.

The story of Ralph became ingrained and with his body encased in concrete lying just off shore, it became obvious that the reef had to be called Ralph. Then the word Grave was sometimes added.

There is more to the story and there was an early lesson to be learned. From this disaster, the death of my dear ship when it settled to the bottom on the morning of August 13th 1963 on the opening day of the tournament, it was pretty obvious that the spearfishing tournament had been a bad idea from the beginning. Another contest like this for tourism would have become genocide for our fish. I vowed “never again.”

My ship was gone. My bridges burned. And I knew the true situation of a stranded sailor. Bogart, my only source of existence, had made it very clear. “Find tourists or be on your way, Captain Don.” I watched the sea, having sailed over it for countless thousands of miles, knowing it only as water. Although I enjoyed visiting the underwater world as a diver, I was woefully ignorant of the life it contained. I knew nothing of environmentalism. The sea was what floated my ship. Now things had changed. Now diving was to become my world, and I had much to learn if I was to become a worthy citizen of that world.

-79-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom