Steel vs aluminum 40 for redundant: which is better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^ Good lawd that is a lot to unpack.
:popcorn:

The correct equipment and protocols work equally well for sport diving anywhere.
But many of us do NOT have an "integrated team" that trains together, equips together, and dives together. We are lucky if we always have the same buddy.
Different equipment choices and safety protocols are called for.

I am sure team diving works great if you're located in an area that has that option. Not everywhere does. We make do with what we have and still enjoy diving in a relatively safe way.

^ Good lawd that is a lot to unpack.
:popcorn:

What's so hard to get?

But many of us do NOT have an "integrated team" that trains together, equips together, and dives together. We are lucky if we always have the same buddy.
Different equipment choices and safety protocols are called for.
Do you rely on luck for the important things in your life, or do you go out and make things happen? Internet divers keep telling me that I'm being unrealistic and need to lower my standards. Yet out in the real world I've been able to connect with dive buddies who have similar training and equipment all over North America and Europe. When buddies are interchangeable you don't have to rely on having the same one every time. Yesterday I did two open water dives in cold, low-visibility conditions with two new buddies whom I had never met before and we all did things the same way. This is the key benefit of standardizing protocols and equipment configuration for everything important rather than allowing "personal preference".

Where is the disconnect?

It's either slung like crap divers or slung like sidemount divers, get it right

Do you rely on luck for the important things in your life, or do you go out and make things happen? Internet divers keep telling me that I'm being unrealistic and need to lower my standards. Yet out in the real world I've been able to connect with dive buddies who have similar training and equipment all over North America and Europe. When buddies are interchangeable you don't have to rely on having the same one every time. This is the key benefit of standardizing protocols and equipment configuration for everything important rather than allowing "personal preference".

Where is the disconnect?
Nobody is suggesting that you dive a different way, it is you that are suggesting that others adopt your methods which frankly are unrealistic for many so we adopt other methods to keep us safe. You do what you do and many others of us will do what we do.

Do you rely on luck for the important things in your life, or do you go out and make things happen? Internet divers keep telling me that I'm being unrealistic and need to lower my standards. Yet out in the real world I've been able to connect with dive buddies who have similar training and equipment all over North America and Europe. When buddies are interchangeable you don't have to rely on having the same one every time. Yesterday I did two open water dives in cold, low-visibility conditions with two new buddies whom I had never met before and we all did things the same way. This is the key benefit of standardizing protocols and equipment configuration for everything important rather than allowing "personal preference".

Where is the disconnect?

I dive with a buddy who is a little older and can only do singles, another buddy that's CCR, and I myself in doubles. How do you standardize that? Should my buddy who can't lift quit because he can't do doubles? Maybe we should all just quit because Nick says we're not the same:)

I think you would have a heart attack on a NE charter with the smorgasbord of divers we have.

I understand the way you dive, I get it 100%. Kudos to you for finding clone copies of yourself. I am ok thinking (and accepting) outside the box. That works for me. And if buddies aren't available I'm fine diving alone... sometimes I really enjoy that too! To each his own.

I accept you and your diving Nick, why is it so hard to return the favor? Where is the disconnect? :wink:

I dive with a buddy who is a little older and can only do singles, another buddy that's CCR, and I myself in doubles. How do you standardize that? Should my buddy who can't lift quit because he can't do doubles? Maybe we should all just quit because Nick says we're not the same:)

I think you would have a heart attack on a NE charter with the smorgasbord of divers we have.

I understand the way you dive, I get it 100%. Kudos to you for finding clone copies of yourself. I am ok thinking (and accepting) outside the box. That works for me. And if buddies aren't available I'm fine diving alone... sometimes I really enjoy that too! To each his own.

I accept you and your diving Nick, why is it so hard to return the favor? Where is the disconnect? :wink:
You are obviously doomed. The GUE gods demand obedience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom