Steel vs. Al Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

costi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was certified in May, and have been loving the sport. I purchased new equipment(mostly sherwood) including my al 80 tanks. I have become involved diving with a group who seem to have mostly compact steel tanks. I realize some of the pros to steel vs. my aluminums such as they are getting a true 80 fill because of the higher psi they are filled to, and that I carry more weight than them due to my increased buoyancy. The only negative feature that I have seen is that a steel is a bit pricy.
Am I overlooking any reason to change or not to change from al. to steel?

Steel is a bit more subject to deterioration than aluminum, athough that can be dealt with through proper care. Are you diving fresh or salt water?

rpodos:
Steel is a bit more subject to deterioration than aluminum, athough that can be dealt with through proper care. Are you diving fresh or salt water?
I am diving in the Maine area both in salt and fresh about equal.

Hmmm... I think having gear consistent with your group is prolly the most important thing in this case. It's a form of redundancy, and familiarity. If you have the cash, I'd say go for it, but try to work with the group in maintaining best practices in gear care, preventative maintenance, check-ups, etc.

I've personally always liked steel, but since I mostly travel to warm water destinations and thus rent, I've been stuck with aluminum for a long time now.

Thanks for the input. After posting the thread I started looking around this website a bit more. Looks like I repeated an often asked question! I need to spend a bit more time on Scubaboard I guess to get familiar with it. Thanks for everyone's patience!

I believe steel will allow you use less weight and can take poundings against the rocks better. Aluminum tanks are allowed only a certain amount of 1/32" deep small indentations or divots to pass a visual. Here in RI my steel tank has been banged up quite a bit.

I am also looking at a steel tank. When comparing the 80's the steel weighs less is
smaller and negative at the end. This means you need less lead and less resisitance in the water.

Should equal easier bouyance control and less air consumption. :D

While its true that steels can get overfills, are somewhat sturdier, and are heavier (a lot!) than AL's. Steels are also negatively buoyant when (nearly) empty. This means that a redundant means of buoyancy is needed (if you have a failure of BC at the beginning of the dive, can you swim the rig up to the surface?). It is ill advised to dive steels in wetsuits for this reason (wet suit compression at depth).

On the other hand, steels will give you lots more gas.....

There are pro's and cons to all equipment choices.

Meng_Tze:
While its true that steels can get overfills, are somewhat sturdier, and are heavier (a lot!) than AL's.
Depends on the steel tank.

An HP80 is about 6 lbs lighter than an Al80 and lets you take ~6 lbs off your weight belt, so you will be carrying 12lbs less when going into the water.

An E7-100 is the same weight as an Al80, but lets you take ~5 lbs off your weight belt.

An LP80 weighs the same as an Al80, but lets you take ~5 lbs off your weight belt.

The big LP and E8 steel tanks are usually heavier than Al80s, but carry more gas and are negatively buoyant.

Back
Top Bottom