Steel Tanks at Warm Water Destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

49north

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking to get a warm water BP/W for travel. I have been using my cold water rig and really like the SS backplate plate for use with an AL80. If I were to use something like a steel 120, I think I would be quite overweighted. My question is, how prevalent are steel tanks at warm water vacation destinations? Is this something I should factor in to my decision and perhaps choose a light weight backplate?

Steel tanks are pretty rare in warm water vacation destinations.

That’s what I thought, but I have relatively little dive travel experience.

Very few steels in most locales.........but that’s why SS plates are awesome.......wetsuit is 4lbs + and tank is 4 lbs + so take away 6 lbs neg for the plate and you barely need much lead.

Very few steels in most locales.........but that’s why SS plates are awesome.......wetsuit is 4lbs + and tank is 4 lbs + so take away 6 lbs neg for the plate and you barely need much lead.

That’s what I like too. Most of the weight on your back and just a few pounds of ditchable weight.

If steels aren’t that prevalent, then it’s probably not worth getting a light plate that you have to add weight to for aluminum tanks. I’m not worried about a few more pounds in the luggage.

My question is, how prevalent are steel tanks at warm water vacation destinations? Is this something I should factor in to my decision and perhaps choose a light weight backplate?

In general you won't encounter them unless you seek them out in some fashion. There's one well-regarded operator in Cozumel that uses them exclusively, but there are maybe 100 other ops on the island to choose from if you want to dive an AL80. Otherwise you have to ask and usually pay a few bucks more.

I dive a steel BP/W and am only overweighted with it in fresh water with a thin wetsuit and an HP steel. It's fine in the ocean. Ymmv.

Steel is rare. I’m well traveled land based and for LOBs. I’ve had some LOBs offer HP100s (steel) for higher air consumers to ensure they don’t have to surface sooner than the group. They’re usually at a premium (pay up!). AL80 is extremely prevalent.

I encountered steel tanks in Ishigaki, Japan (26-27 C) and Fakarava, French Polynesia (28 C).

Back
Top Bottom