Steel tank shortages? Or just with my lds's distributors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryebrye

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I emailed my local dive shop about ordering and HP100 and they said that they were backordered at their distributors and would be for at least several weeks.

I'm curious if they are going to be impacted by the spiking steel prices right now - and if I should just order one from one of the online places that has them in stock right now.

Anyone have an idea of if steel tanks are going to go up in price or be hard to come by in the next little while?

There IS a steel tank shortage. They're made in Italy by Faber. It's a combination of the worldwide ocean container shipping meltdown, plus manufacturing shutdowns from covid. Going to find the statements on DGX's website and I'll add them here.

EDIT: if you can find somewhere with them in stock, snap them up!

17102C81-7DE3-4289-B5EE-92DDBBFFED8E.jpeg
3053DCA1-A886-4D7D-AE8E-E45979E6008C.png

I sold off bunch of tanks when I moved to FL. Fills are much easier to get so I didn’t need nearly as many tanks. I kept 4 HP100s and sure glad I did. They’re like gold ... to me at least!

I was considering getting a third pair of 85s. I at least have someone to borrow from if needed.

Divers Supply claims to have some in stock. Leisure Pro as well (for a bit more money) - I'll chat with someone tomorrow before ordering because their checkout page also has some big warning note about shipping being slow / bear with us / etc.

Dive Right In Scuba has the same kind of "out of stock" note as DGX - saying they wont get more until 6/21

I sold off bunch of tanks when I moved to FL. Fills are much easier to get so I didn’t need nearly as many tanks. I kept 4 HP100s and sure glad I did. They’re like gold ... to me at least!

But aren't LP85s with overfills the preferred tank of the Florida diver?

I've had HP80's on order for months with my LDS in Canada. Same answer... maybe June.

There's one HP100 on Marketplace locally and the guy wants almost full retail even though it needs a hydro.

In cave country, yes. For the rest of FL, multiple posters have reported getting overfills on LP tanks is pretty much impossible.

Maybe in Cave Country. Florida is a big state. In South FL where I am HP100s are the preferred tank for ocean diving.

I actually had two LP85s that I sold along with four more HP100s and two LP104s. I had 20 tanks when I moved to FL in 2016. I'm down to 7.

Back
Top Bottom