Steel tank ID - 3000psi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gvnick

New
Reaction score
I recently picked up these two tanks. The one on the right is a Norris 72, it has rings around the top of the cylinder. Kinda cool, wondered if that was common.

The main question is about the other tank. It’s a PST 3000psi. It is almost the same dimensions as the 72, just a hair larger diameter, and ten pounds heavier. Is this the 95ish tank? I have heard of an MP72 as well... any help would be great. Thank you

Attachments

• 56AA493C-E058-404B-BD86-FF32DE01DE8F.jpeg
    56AA493C-E058-404B-BD86-FF32DE01DE8F.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 141
The MP 72 should be about 4 inches shorter than an old steel 72, at 20.75" tall (take off the boot if it has one to measure).

I liked the Faber version MP72 for goat trail hikes on the NorCal coast, because of the weight it took off my belt.

Bob

Thank you. That clears it up. I dove it last week and came up with more air than my buddy with an AL80 so I assumed it was the bigger capacity.

Now the other tank. Anyone seen a 72 with rings around the top of the cylinder like that? It's cool looking. That tank was born in 73 and has never been hydro'd since.

I have 2 of those tanks, they sure do cut down on the lead! They get heavier every year. Been thinking of putting the pair connected with an old "cheater bar" manifold on a small raft with a 30ft LP hose attached to my double hose. I could dive all day in 20FSW.

If the tank was originally coated, that is likely from the previous owner scraping it off using a lathe

I doubt it, it's a factory galvanized tank. I've got a couple 72's with the same markings. It's just manufacturing marks that may or may not happen depending on the tooling used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom