Steel tank basic care/maintenance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The scuba police are going to ticket you for tank neglect! 🤣😂
Note that the cheap bulk storage bottles get a nice cover to protect them.

A quick valve flush after washing the tank, before filling and before fitting the regulator to the valve.

Agree with the above posters -- steel tanks basically don't go bad. Salt will rust them, and the plastic boot will trap salt, so hammering the boot off to rinse is a good idea. I've found that a deadblow mallet (the hollow kind filled with shot) works best to knock the boot off.

The corollary to all this, of course, is that steel tanks are perfectly safe to buy on the used market to save a few bucks. I bought my first pair online for the better part of a thousand dollars after tax and shipping. Now that I know how hardy they are, I'm never buying new ones again -- there are a few posted on Craigslist in my area for about $300 and in-hydro. Down in Florida, you might be able to get them even cheaper, since there are so many more floating around.

I always drill about 20 small holes in the bottom of rubber tank boot and then shoot water with a garden hose down along the sides and the water exits under the boot and out the holes. the corrosion rate in a garage in Orlando is high - heat and high humidity. This makes a big difference, the single central hole does not allow flushing or draining.

Always store them vertically so that the rust will occur on the bottom which is easier to remove and will not structurally affect the tank. Transport is not storage.

Shoot the valves with a garden hose after diving.

Don't put extra stickers on the outside.

EVERY time before the tank is filled, open the valve and blast out any water trapped there. I do the same before hooking up the regulator. Every fill operator should do this before filling, but few do it, so just do it when bringing the tanks in for a fill.

If you and the compressor operator are careful, the tanks will quite likely out live you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom