Steel HP 23 vs Al 19 redundant air source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving a back mounted Al 13cf pony for years and enjoyed it. It's almost the same size as the 19cf and it's worked great. My setup was about the same as what you're talking about with the long hose under the right arm and the tank upside down. I always pressurize the pony reg before decending and then shut it off when I reach depth to prevent accidental loss of gas. Some don't like that but I'm comfortable with it. Also everything from the hose to the regulator cover is yellow so there is no mistaking which reg I'm on.

You do need to understand the limitations for safe accents and safety stops. Even with 19cf you might not have the gas. As long as you're within the NDL limits you'll probably be ok but it's you get close to deco then you might want more air like others have said.

Now that I gave you my experience on what you asked in the op here's my other thought. If you're carrying extra gas on your back in the form of big tanks, maybe add an "H"valve with a second regulator. If you're just getting insurance against a regulator failure you'll have it. Just shut off the side that's giving you an issues and breathe from the other. No hydros or visuals either.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

This seems unbelievable really. Whether the tank is slung or mounted is irrelevant. There are two regulators and two air sources. If one doesn't work, you use the other.

You have a main tank and regulator, you have a pony bottle and regulator. You put the main in your mouth and the pony is there for emergency.

If someone drowns because they drained their pony bottle, then they should have been prepared to switch over to their main tank, which would have been on from the start. If you are out of air, you switch tanks. It's why you have two tanks. No need to drown at all.

I'm simply asking for advice on which tank to use. If you haven't used either, just keep reading and don't respond. If you have experience with either or both, please let me know what you think of their performance.
Yet it has happened, more crap on you isn't always a panacea

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom