Steel Cylinder NA/EU Specs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vibenz

Registered
Reaction score
I have moved from North America to Europe, and I am considering buying 2 used steel cylinders. However, the specs seems confusing.

These cylinders are 10L / 300 bar.

The cylinders I had to leave behind, were Faber HP100-HDG. They were 12L / 3442 psi, which would be equal to a service pressure of 237 bar. (The HP80 cylinders have the same service pressure.)

Does European cylinders really have a service pressure of 300 bar / 4351 psi, or is it a difference in how the specs are set out?

The difference between 3442 and 4351 service pressure, seems far to big for tanks that essentially are the same, except for the numbers that are embossed in them.

Hoping some of you are able to bring some clarity to a confused diver... :)

They really do have 300bar bottles in Europe. They're heavy as well.

Keep in mind that you want to shop for similar physical sized tanks vs similar volume tanks. Going from 12l to 10l is going to be a completely different diving experience and unless you're really short it is not a good option IMO.

Thanks for the feedback.

My dive NA buddy has HP80, which I assume would be equal to 10L. I dove multiple times with them, and it worked fine when adjusting weights and adapting to less bottom time.

12L 232 bar tanks is where it's all at here, they would be very similar to your HP100 tanks both in size and capacity.
Easy to find as well at least in the northern half of Europe as they are a very popular tank both as a single and definitely as doubles here.

Do NOT get the shorter chubby versions though as they are terrible for trim IMO.

Where in Europe? Somewhat country dependent.

Assuming single tanks, not a twinset.

If a twinset then 12 litre flat-bottomed "Euros" are great (they're actually concave).

For singles there's loads around, but the 12 litre 232 bar tins are most popular. 300 bar ones are pointless as it's hard to get a full fill and they're very heavy. Dumpy (squat/short/fat) cylinders aren't that good IMHO.

15 litre 232 bar cylinders are also available, often used with a 3 litre pony strapped to the side.

All cylinders will be DIN valved, most come with a DIN to joke adapter which you screw in.

I'm moving to Cyprus next year; after reading this thread, I'll be selling my tank collection before I go.
Currently, I sidemount HP100's; looks like 12L steels would be close.

Back
Top Bottom