steel 72's....what to do??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zach5150

Contributor
Reaction score
I just picked up 2 LP steel 72's and 2 AL80's. The 80's are being hydro'd right now, so I hope they pass, but the 72's are good to go. I originally started out w/ the intention of buying some HP119's or something in that order. I'm 6'1 and currently 285lbs..so I can handle bigger tanks w/ ease.

But, I got a pretty good deal on these 4 tanks, so I went for it. My question is....Are steel 72's very desireable if I decide to sell or trade them?
I've also considered keeping them and building a set of doubles....
Any ideas or opinions?

Lots of people love Steel 72's. I would dive them and see what you think about them, they would make a decent set of doubles or good singles as well. I regularly see them used for not to much money but they are great tanks. I would dive them and see if you are getting bottom time you are comfortable with and then make your decision based on that.

I regularly dive with HP 120's but don't really care for them. I am a big guy but big tanks are more trouble than they are worth unless I need them for something in particular I am doing. Right now my favorite tanks are a set of LP 85 doubles.

Brent

Brent

zach5150:
I just picked up 2 LP steel 72's and 2 AL80's. The 80's are being hydro'd right now, so I hope they pass, but the 72's are good to go. I originally started out w/ the intention of buying some HP119's or something in that order. I'm 6'1 and currently 285lbs..so I can handle bigger tanks w/ ease.

But, I got a pretty good deal on these 4 tanks, so I went for it. My question is....Are steel 72's very desireable if I decide to sell or trade them?
Any ideas or opinions?

They would make a good kids tank. Much more than that, I don't know. Maybe a good shallow water shore dive tank. Personally I couldn't see doubleing them up, doubled would give you 142 ft3 not much more than a steel 120, then if you carry a pony you can have more air without doing doubles.

72's make fantastic doubles for light tech stuff, doing a single long recreational dive or doing two dives off a boat with a stage where getting in and out is a challenge. I have a set and you couldn't pry them out of my hands for anything. I absolutely love diving them. When I don't need to haul the big freight it stays in my garage.

At 6'1" you are going to hate putting them on and taking them off. They are VERY short tanks when doubled. If I set them on the bench and skooch down to get them on I have to have help standing up because my butt is so far forward. I also have to use ankle weights both wet and dry because the center of gravity is so high up. Not wearing the ankle weights is not an option. If I don't it isn'a a matter of floaty feet. It is a matter of doing a head stand. The ankle weights do solve all that though. I like them but a set of LP85's would be a lot nicer.

Joe

at 5'11" I don't have any problems with there length. Mine are about the same length as an al80.

zach5150:
I just picked up 2 LP steel 72's and 2 AL80's.

The 72's can hold almost as much air as the AL80. The standard AL tanks only holds about 77 cu ft. But the 72's are rated at 72 only if they have a 10% overfill. S if filled only to the rated presure it is in the 60's. Still these are great tanks for beach dives or shallow reef. Really good for beach dives because they are negative buoyant You can remove 5 or 6 pounds off your weight belt compared to when using an AL80. It's like you are not wearing dive gear.

As for making a set of doubles. I'd only do that if you wanted doubles -- or "twins". "twins" are a setup where
you have two regs and two tanks put no manafold. You have one second stage on each tank and you switch every 10 minutes or so. You would need two SPGs also. I'm told this was more common years ago.

If all you want is a large tank buy a large tank. The manafold and extra regulator will cost more than a 120 cu ft tank.

zach5150:
Any ideas or opinions?

Since no one else will step up and tell you the truth:

They suck! You should just cut your losses, sell them to me and find something better for yourself. I'll give you half of what you paid for them. :D

Send me a PM if you want to get rid of them. I can put them to good use.

Cave Diver:
Since no one else will step up and tell you the truth:

They suck! You should just cut your losses, sell them to me and find something better for yourself. I'll give you half of what you paid for them. :D

Sounds great! I paid a grand each, so I'll PM you w/ my paypal address and you can deposit 500 bucks for each one you want....if you want both, I'll pay for shipping, so a cool thousand will cover everything!:D hehe....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom