Steel 120 tank - any regrets buying one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@walkonmars I don't think it really matters what kind of diving he's doing. The OP said that he's 6'5" and a 117 is going to be uncomfortably short. Good call for someone that's your height and needs that amount of gas, but when you're tall, the short tanks really suck when you have to sit. I use HP120's or LP120's *cave filled to ~150cf* when diving in backmount because they're more comfortable.

Short (for me) tanks suck! When getting into my 100 twinset on a boat bench, I resemble a giraffe at a watering hole...

I'll say I'm a tall person 6'4''-5'' and I'm very happy with my 120's. I sold a pair of 100's when I made the switch. The extra volume is great, often I can squeeze two short/ shallow dives out of one fill. The height makes gearing up simple (when seated), and they trim out nicely when underwater. The only down side would be the weight, but I can handle that without much issue...

@walkonmars I don't think it really matters what kind of diving he's doing. The OP said that he's 6'5" and a 117 is going to be uncomfortably short. Good call for someone that's your height and needs that amount of gas, but when you're tall, the short tanks really suck when you have to sit. I use HP120's or LP120's *cave filled to ~150cf* when diving in backmount because they're more comfortable.

I see, I should have read more messages instead of skimming.
In that case, you may consider the 120 and the 130.
The 130 is similarly tall but slightly wider in diameter. Yes, it is heavier. I don't run it much since I don't like the height. I usually bring it with me on boats to use as a spare and let other divers try it out.
If you are making beach dives off the shore with a long walk it may start to feel heavier for that purpose. So a 120 may be a good starting point. You get into better diving shape and branch out to other sizes to suit your purposes.

I used to double my 120s. I even made several beach dives involving a long hike to the water.
J8.jpg

enormous_tanks.jpg

@walkonmars the HP130's are about 2" shorter than the 120's and an inch taller than the 100's. They're not bad if you like your tank really low on your back, but they're still just barely long enough to be comfortable for me. They are almost exactly the same height as AL80's though which I've said time and time again are too long for the majority of divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom