Steel 119...thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carjack97

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am in the market for a tank. Never knew I knew so little about so much. Usually fairly decisive but want some opinions on this one from more experienced divers. I am 5'9", 170 lbs, my SAC rate is good, most diving will be above 90' and do not plan to ever do any cold water diving. I have looked at the following: neutral 80, HP100, HP120 and HP 119. I like the capacity of the 120 but feel it is too long for my height. Although the 100 is probably enough I feel the 119 gives more options for future. Aluminum 80 seems to no longer be an option plus it is as long as the 120's. I like the idea of having a HP cylinder due to it's versatility. Given my size, SAC rate and diving environment/depth does this seem like the best choice for me. Any suggestions for other options would be greatly appreciated.

An X8-119 is 42 pounds and 24" high while an X8-130 is only 1 pound heavier and only 1.5" taller (and 2.5" shorter than an X7- 120) so for 1 more pound and a minimal difference in height you get 131.4 cu ft rather than 123 cu ft.

And if you decide to sell it later an X8-130 is probably going to be easier to sell than the smaller and less common X8-119.

This post gives my opinion on what tanks make sense and what tanks don't:

Tank Options

I must echo DA's observations.

I love my 119's. I'm about the same size as you, and the tank trims out beautifully.

But if I had it to do all over again . . . I'd go with the 130's.

The 119's and the 130's really allow you to take full advantage of nitrox dives.

the K

Well, I prefer the 119's over the 130's. I have five of each, plus two sets of 119 doubles, plus five LP95's ... and the tank(s) I use will depend on the dive I'm doing (or what's got gas in it when I need to go diving). At 5'9" and about 230, I find that the 119's trim out a little easier for me ... but that may simply be that because I prefer them I use them more often.

Capacity isn't really a concern for me ... diving in Puget Sound, I'll typically get cold or run out of NDL long before gas capacity would matter ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The only reason I'd go with the 130 is because of the extra gas.

I've dived both tanks and I really can't tell any difference between the two other than just a little extra weight out of the water.

the K

I'm necro'ing this thread to ask what the going rate is for used hp 119's. The one I'm looking at is an xs scuba made in 2009. Last vis was in 04/13 and hydro is up in September of this year. Seller is asking $225 obo. I almost never see these for sale in my area so it's hard for me to tell if I'm getting a fair deal. I dive LP 95's and I'm already used to this size cylinder, so upgrading to higher pressure seems savvy if the price is good. I know, I know, my 95's are 130's at 3600psi, but I live a long way from cave country and nobody will do that here.

Also, OP, if you're still around on here, what did you end up buying?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom